Recipe idea...any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bspanther71

Reaction score
Amber LME- 2.5 LBS
Dark LME - 5 LBS

Steeping grains:
12 Oz chocolate malt
12 Oz brown malt 60
2 oz debittered black malt

Hops:
.75 oz nugget (60 mins)
.5 oz pacific gem (40 mins)
1 oz fuggles (20 mins)

Irish ale yeast.

Judging from the flavor profiles I've read it SOUNDD like it would be a good stout. Please let me know what you think.

gonna need a bit more info.
what batch size? volume of boil? what substyle are you shooting for?
if it were me I'd use the lightest color extract possible & then have total control of the color/flavor contributions of your steeping malts.

The brown and black malt are going to nothing for the taste in my opinion, drop one.
your steeping "specialty" grains, bring it to 152, leave it for 30 minutes at 152, then drain, then continue. i would add the 2.5 amber lme before boil, and add the dark LME at the 15 min or flameout.

Your hop profile is way up there, not sure if intended. it's at 79.02 IBU at 4.70% abv

I would drop down the oz, a lot and drop the nugget completely, using the pacific Gem as your main bittering hop.

.5 oz pacific Gem @ 60
.25 oz Fuggles @ 20
The two hops at those amounts is 33.14 ibu, which I think is where you need to be for the style I think you are trying to get to.

Back