Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjvicker

Reaction score
I'm brewing tomorrow and am not too sure what specialty grain I should buy and I really don't have any clue what to brew but I do know I dont want to buy any more hops, 2-row or yeast. Does anyone have any ideas?

here's what I have:

lbs of cascade, centennial, chinook, goldings and nugget
about 9lbs of 2-row
nottingham ale yeast

Thanks

You can do pretty much any American or English style: brown, porter, stout, pale ale, IPA, amber, red, mild, bitter etc... I'd lean towards American since it is a pretty clean yeast and I assume you have a domestic basemalt. What are you in the mood for?

An amber sounds good. I've done this one before with Saaz that I wouldn't mind trying again with different hops.

8lb 2-row
2lb cara pils
2lb caramel /crystal 60
1lb vienna

Now what mix of cascade, centennial, chinook, goldings and nugget would everyone recommend?

That's about 3 pounds too much of crystal! Well, at least 2 pounds too much. I wouldn't use more than 1.5 pounds (total) in a 5 gallon batch of American amber.

You could bitter with the centennial or nugget, and use centennial and cascade for flavor and aroma.

I don't have software in front of me to figure out the OG here, but I'd probably aim for an OG of 1.050-1.060 with IBUs of 35-40 and use the flavor/aroma hops at 15 minutes, 5 minutes, and flame out for an American amber that has some nice hop flavor as well.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go with the brew below and see how it goes

9.5 lb 2-row
2 lb cara pils
1 lb caramel/crystal 60
1 lb vienna
1 oz cascade 60min
1 oz goldings 20min
.5 oz centennial 10min

Back