Recipe help: New Belgium Hoptober clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wowbeeryum

Reaction score
My first batch of home brew is in bottles so I'm ready to have another go at it. For my first beer I used a kit put together by my LHBS. For my second beer I was hoping to do an extract clone of NB Hoptober. About Hoptober (from NB website):

Five hops and four malts make Hoptober Golden Ale a veritable cornucopia of the earth. Pale and wheat malt are mashed with rye and oats to create a medium-bodied ale with a creamy mouthfeel.

Centennial, Cascade, Sterling, Willamette, and Glacier hops form a bonfire of citrus notes, fruity cheers and a bold finale.

ABV - 6.0%
IBU - 40
Calories - 160
Hops - Centennial, Cascade, Sterling, Glacier, Willamette
Malts - Pale, Rye, Oats, C-80, Wheat
OG - 16
TG - 2.6

I searched on hopville and found this recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/954365/american-pale-ale-recipes/hoptober-clone-lme

Batch size: 5 gal
Boil: 3 gal

6lbs Pale Liquid Extract
12oz Wheat, Torrified
12oz Briess Carapils
8oz Briess Crystal 20L
4oz Flaked Barley

60 min 0.5 oz Centennial pellet
60 min 0.75oz Willamette pellet
30 min 0.5 oz Cascade pellet
15 min 0.5 oz Sterling pellet
dry hop 1.0 oz Glacier pellet (7 days)

WLP051 California Ale V Yeast

It looks similar to the all grain and partial mash Hoptober clones on hopville. There are some yeast differences (some used WLP001 California Ale, Wyeast American and American II Ale, and US-05) and hop amount differences (some used anywhere from .25-.5oz more in some of the additions).

I am still brand new so I have no concept of how this would actually turn out. How does it look? Any suggestions/changes? Yeast thoughts? I'd love to avoid having to make a starter if possible, so the US-05 is tempting if it's suitable.

Thanks in advance.

Here is what I did in 2009
GRAIN
6lb Rahr 2-row
2lb Wheat Malt
1lb Rye Malt
1lb Flaked Oats

HOPS
1 oz of Glacier @ 60,
1/2 Willamette at 30,
1/2 sterling at 20,
1/2 centennial at 10,
1/2 cascade at 10,
1/2 glacier at 0

thanks for the response. how did that turn out? how would that be adapted to extract?

Well for extract, you would have to do a minimash with some 2-row wheat, oats and rye. Then add in extract for the balance of the gravity addition.

I'm a complete newb and have no idea what a minimash is. I'm assuming this is different from steeping grains? Is there a way to alter the fermentable ingredients to a way that lends itself to extract brewing (with steeping grains)? Or is this a beer I can't make (with extract)?

Latest posts

Back