Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAMERBREWING

Reaction score
Ok, I need some overlook on this one. Any opinions or thoughts on this grain bill?
Looking for malt forward, light on hops. Built off a recipe that everyone likes that has 2lb Vienna instead of the 2lb Munich 20L and no black malt.

4lb Munich 10L
4lb Pilsner
2lb Munich 20L
8oz Crystal 60
1oz Black Malt (color)
1oz Hallertauer at 60
.75oz Hallertauer at 10
WLP820 from a starter
Lagered for 8 weeks

Substituting 2 lbs of Munich 20L in place of Vienna (3-4L) will make the beer noticeably darker. If that’s what you’re aiming for, let ‘er rip. Without running that recipe through a calculator, it sounds like a nice amber to light brown lager. I’d drink the heck out of it.

I’d vote for reducing or removing the crystal. It might not hurt to leave it in, but I’m pretty sure it won’t hurt to take it out. Sweetness is going to be the enemy for this one.

Sounds like a solid recipe but I agree with @Kickass and @AlexKay that it will be sweet so removing the crystal will definitely bring it down nicely. I think I would eliminate the black malt also unless you want it darker, that more opaque brown color. I'd drink a bunch of it.

Back