Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aomagman78

Reaction score
Hey all, been reading the GF section for the past two weeks trying to get a feel for it. I want to brew up a nice copper/lt brown ale for my aunt who has celiac's, for christmas present. What are your thoughts on this recipe? I want to make it as close to real beer as possible, not cut any corners. I have this attempt, and time for one more. Might try chestnuts next time around if I'm not satisfied with this.

With a few revisions
1 Gallon Batch 5.3% ABV (according to beercalculus, don't know how good it is with quinoa)
1lb malted Quinoa
8oz Flaked oats
8oz Buckwheat
6oz Roasted Buckwheat
4oz Candi Syrup Amber

.2oz Willamette @ 50min
.25oz Willamette @ 5min

Nottingham Ale Yeast
Yeast Nutrients
Alpha & Beta Amylase

My questions are - should I try to roast some buckwheat and use rice syrup instead of the Amber syrup, will that give it more body/authenticity? What changes might you make? Thanks.

That is a massive amount of candi sugar, equivalent to using more than 3lbs in a 5gal batch.

How are you going to crack the quinoa? Or are you just gonna try and mash it without...it could work if it is like rice and gelatinizes easily.

Alpha amylase will do something to it...not sure what.

Highly experimental, for a batch like this I would recommend testing one variable at a time. As in, dont use a ton of candi syrup and do a all grain beer at the same time.

Ah, it didn't register how much candy syrup that was. My bad. I will put some roasted buckwheat instead and reduce the candy syrup. As for the quinoa, I just finished malting it, it's drying now. It won't be easy, but I was going to crack it in my coffee maker briefly, a couple pulses in small batches.

As for mash schedule, I'm going to add beta amylase as well in case my malting failed or something. I plan on following the mashing schedule laid out last week in another post.

This may be the first batch of a couple trying to get it right. But I'm not one for patience, so I don't mind a few variables. What are your thoughts on the revised recipe.

I'd do more malted quinoa. You need some sort of base. Right now your specialty grains are still a good portion of your recipe. You might use 12oz in a 5gal batch of normal beer.

Oh, true. Man, lots of mistakes. So I'll switch to 8oz of normal buckwheat, which the alpha/gluco amylase should mash for me and only 6oz of the roasted. Now I'm slightly more balanced. I'll give this recipe a shot unless there are any other major faults. That'll give me something to go on before I try to malt more grains. Also, I malted a random amount so I might have >1lb, not quite sure.

Back