American Pale Ale Recipe Critique - Mosaic Only Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbster

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
British Ale Yeast (WL1098)
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5.1 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10-14 days (67 F)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None anticipated
Tasting Notes
Sweet, Citrus-y Pale Ale.
As the title suggests, I'm trying to plan a fairly simple mosaic-only pale ale that will hopefully be very aromatic and fruity with a balanced malt profile and little hop dankness. I'm new to making recipes and welcome any suggestions for simplifying and improving this design.

For a 5.00 gallon batch size:

Grains
9 lbs 8 oz - Pale Malt (2 Row, US) - 86.4%
1 lbs - White Wheat Malt - 9.1%
0 lbs 4 oz - Cara-Pils - 2.3%
0 lbs 4 oz - Honey Malt - 2.3%
Total grain bill - 11.00 lb

Mash at 150F for 75 minutes

Boiled Hops
0.50 oz - Mosaic - Boiled 45 minutes (22.2 IBUs)
1.25 oz - Mosaic - Boiled 10 minutes (21.9 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Mosaic - Boiled 0 minutes (whirlpooled for 15-30minutes)

Fermentation
Yeast - British Ale (Wyeast WL1098)

Dry Hops
3.25 oz - Mosaic - Dry hopped for 4-5 days

Being unfamiliar with dry hop amounts, I'd appreciate some feedback on the hopping profile. I aimed for later hop additions during the boil to preserve some aromatics from the mosaic, although I'm not sure how that will turn out in reality.

Edit: I am aiming to replicate a delicious mosaic-only pale ale that advertised 6.0% ABV and 45 IBUs. Additionally, I tweaked my BeerSmith settings for my equipment size, and the actual color is showing as 4.9SRM and OG of 1.058.

Last edited:
I think i would up the honey malt some to maybe 8-12oz, and reduce the dry hop to about 2.5oz, but thats just me.

OP, I think you have the honey malt about right, unless you want it very sweet. Wheat is an interesting choice... Not bad just interesting. I brewed a SMaSH with Maris otter and mosaic last year. It was really good and I will make it again later this spring, so this is going to be good. :mug:

@Redtab78 - thanks for that input. I've noticed vastly different dry hopping amounts and bumped it up after viewing a couple other recipes online. I think I will dial it back a bit.

@Hoppy2bmerry - much appreciated as well! I'm on the fence about making it sweeter. If I did, I would only add a couple more ounces.

Also, apologies for all who get mad that I posted an incomplete recipe in the recipe database forum. I didn't realize there was a separate recipe forum within the homebrewing section, my bad!

I just kicked the keg on an APA following Braufessors NEIPA recipe but increased grains to reach 7% and did an all mosaic with the exception of hop shot. 3 oz mosaic at flameout, 3oz at whirlpool, 3oz day 4, 3 oz day 12 with white labs 011.

It was pretty darn good. I don't have the most refined palette but i wouldn't have called it citrusy. It was very much strangely creamy almost like Papaya or Durian. The same day I did the exact recipe but all Citra. I am more excited for that.

GO for it!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7919926&postcount=20

Recently did an all Mosaic. I found it gives off grapefruit flavor and aroma and little bit of "dank" on the finish. The dry hop at full Krausen was done in the spirit of the NEIPA, and resulted in a hazy beer. I am going on a month in the bottle, and it is still holding up very well.

I think you're on the right course. With your additions of Cara-Pilz and Honey, I think you're OK with the IBU where you're at.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7919926&postcount=20

Recently did an all Mosaic. I found it gives off grapefruit flavor and aroma and little bit of "dank" on the finish. The dry hop at full Krausen was done in the spirit of the NEIPA, and resulted in a hazy beer. I am going on a month in the bottle, and it is still holding up very well.

I think you're on the right course. With your additions of Cara-Pilz and Honey, I think you're OK with the IBU where you're at.

Cool stuff, thanks for the reference.

Did you do anything to clarify your beer (Irish moss, gelatin, etc.)? Did you go straight from 14 days of fermentation to carbonating?

Glad to hear it's holding up for that long.

Cool stuff, thanks for the reference.

Did you do anything to clarify your beer (Irish moss, gelatin, etc.)? Did you go straight from 14 days of fermentation to carbonating?

Glad to hear it's holding up for that long.

No clarifying agents since it was in the spirit of the NEIPA. Actually, I did the last dry hop on day 14 of fermentation, for a total of 4 days. So, I bottled on day 18.

i love mosaic's in the keg. i put 2 oz of leaf in a bag and leave it in the whole time. did one last spring that kept getting better and better for months. the last few glasses were unreal. best ipa i ever made.

A craft brewer in my area made an APA featuring wheat and Mosaic, which was pretty great. I actually struggle to find APAs that I like so I was inspired.

I'm fermenting my attempt at a similar brew now. I used Magnum for bittering, and a combination of Mosaic and Galaxy as late additions... I think it was 0.5 oz each at 5 mins and 1 oz each for a 25 min whirlpool (at 155F). I'll do equal amounts for dry hopping in the fermenter in the last 5 days. Not sure how much I should use, though... 4 oz? (From what I read, Mosaic tends to be dominant so I'm using equal amounts Mosaic and Galaxy at all additions, hoping the Mosaic comes out on top.)

The grain bill was similar to OP's but replace the honey malt and cara-pils with 4 oz each crystal 20 and crystal 40. Yeast was Conan.

I want to rush this from grain to glass in 14 days, I hope Conan delivers!

Keep me posted on how it turns out. Never tried Conan but it is on my short list of yeasts to consider.

I am contemplating bumping up my dry hop a tad as well, but that will probably depend on how I feel when my hops come in the mail today.

I'm all ready to brew this, just waiting on my new kettle to arrive....

This is my first time with Conan as well. Looks like it is highly regarded for fruity APAs.

Will you make any mineral additions? I did close to 300 ppm sulfate and I think 100 ppm Ca, 60 ppm Cl. It is my first time using that much sulfate, curious to see how it compares to my past similar brews with 100 ppm.

This is my first time with Conan as well. Looks like it is highly regarded for fruity APAs.

Will you make any mineral additions? I did close to 300 ppm sulfate and I think 100 ppm Ca, 60 ppm Cl. It is my first time using that much sulfate, curious to see how it compares to my past similar brews with 100 ppm.

This will be my first time messing with my water (previously used untreated RO), and I'm trying to match the standard pale ale profile in B'run Water. I'll add calcium chloride and epsom salt to yield the following:

Calcium: 84ppm
Sulfate: 110ppm
Chloride: 94ppm

I will also add a couple mL of phosphoric acid to hit a mash pH of 5.35.

I'm still learning about the different effects from modifying water chemistry (such as increasing sulfate levels), but I think that is a good start for me.

That looks like a good start to me. I did an APA with a similar profile and noticed a big difference compared to the same sort of brew made with just my tap water (which is nearly devoid of minerals).

I'm just one step ahead of you on this batch, shooting for sulfate closer to 300 ppm to see how that changes things compared to 100 ppm.

I wish I had not put off the water chemistry aspect as long as I did, it has really paid off.

Back