Recipe check, smash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_CuRe

Reaction score
Hey there, I would like to brew a smash next weekend using Muntons Maris otter and centennial, keeping it near the pale ale profile, I've calculated around 30 IBU with this schedule:
0.5oz @60 min
1.0oz @15 min
1.0oz @0 min
2-3oz 3 day dray hop
kveik voss in the yeast and targeting 1.050 in the OG.
So what do you guys think, any advice?
cheers

You had me at Maris Otter lol. One of my favorite grains . Just not sure how it will turn out in a pale ale mouth feel wise . But heck you never know until you try . I say do your thing and report back how it turns out .

The only reason I mention mouthfeel is I use it in my stouts and it feels fuller . Of course that could be mash temp as well . I'm interested.

MO is an excellent grain! One of my favorites as well! You're gonna have a tough time IMO really getting a feel for the hops using the kveik yeast.

I would use something cleaner like an WLP 001, US-05, WY 1272. Just one brewers opinion though.

Yeah I kinda felt the kveik thing before but sadly the T drops to 8-10C at night and I have no way to control temp when ambient is low, during summer i do have control, and already lost a batch cos of that with us05, while voss seems to autokeep the warm and finish ok.

Back