Recipe Check - My first Hefe (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkd29

Reaction score
Going for German style Hefe -similar to Franzi or Weihenstephaner. Only my 2nd batch but would appreciate a sanity check from you guys from a modified recipe courtesy of Bobs Homebrew (great Seattle Homebrew store!)

6.6 lbs Briess Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
1 oz. Hallertau Hops (60 min boil)

Specialty Grains:
12 oz German Wheat Malt
8 oz Aromatic Malt
6 oz Carapils Malt
(all grains steeped for 45 min)
1 dead rat
Wyeast 3068 Liquid Yeast.

Ferment for ~ 10 days at 60-65 deg F for more balance, 65-70 deg F for more banana.

everything seem ok? Need more details? Are the specialty grains really necessary?? Do i need more extract? Thanks for your input! Also a shoutout again to Bobs since my first IPA using their recipe turned out delicious :)

I think this looks like a very solid hefe recipe. I wouldn't add any more extract, hefeweizens shouldn't be too strong. The aromatic malt will be a subtle, nice touch (and if all goes well, should complement the dead rat very nicely!). The only thing I would say is watch that 3068, that stuff can be quite vigorous in fermentation. Use a blowoff tube for sure.

jeburgdo said:
I think this looks like a very solid hefe recipe. I wouldn't add any more extract, hefeweizens shouldn't be too strong. The aromatic malt will be a subtle, nice touch (and if all goes well, should complement the dead rat very nicely!). The only thing I would say is watch that 3068, that stuff can be quite vigorous in fermentation. Use a blowoff tube for sure.

Thanks! I was just checkin to see if you guys were awake haha. Good to know about the blowoff

also fyi im fermenting this recipe right now, with the exception of using Tettnang hops (most of 2oz bag to get my 8 AAU with a tiny bit sprinkled in at 5 min. remaining). This was recommendation from LHBS.

Looks like its fermenting well in my 30L (~8 gal) bucket, but my brew thermometer nearby (all in same cabinet) only appears to be in low 60's. Would a few blankets/towels around the bucket be enough to bring it up to higher 60's so i get a bit more clove/vanilla/banana?

I dont have an adhesive thermometer handy so i suppose i should invest in one to get more accurate reading

Wrapping it with blankets can bring the temperature up, but keep in mind that even with the sticker thermometers, the temperature in the middle of the beer is probably a bit higher than the outside temperature, since fermentation creates heat.

Thanks for the tips. I tried some of the fermented wort (3 days fermented, about 75%) tastes real good with solid flavors typical of the 3068. It's well balanced right now with the banana/vanilla flavors so probably no need for blankets. Ill try to post a pic when it's all done!

Turned out good. For some reason a tad undercarbed, although it hasnt quite been two weeks yet, but ill try to post pics when i am done. I added close to 2oz of tettnang hops so i may have overhopped it just a tad. Still good though!

Back