Recipe Check/Critique - American Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Instead of brewing an array of different beers in 2017, I'm planning on honing in on 5-6 different recipes I've previously brewed or written out in an attempt to perfect them. I've brewed over 30 times this year – styles all over the map. Although it's been fun, I feel like my beer will improve overall by taking more of an iterative process with just a few recipes.
This will be my first go at this particular beer (American Porter), although I've brewed within the style before.
Recipe Built On Beersmith

Specs: 6.5% ABV, OG: 1.067, FG: 1.017, IBU: 41, SRM: 48

Malt (hybrid grist bill b/w Denny Conn's Base Imperial Porter, Ray Daniel's "Designing Great Beers" recommendations and Gordon Strong's Robust Porter Recs in "Modern Homebrew Recipes"
2-Row (62.4%) Munich (14.4%) Brown Malt (8.4%) Chocolate Malt (7.1%) Carafa III (1.3%) C-120 (4%) C-60 (2.3%)

Will mash at 154ºF to hit a FG of 1.017 (hoping the residual sugars will balance out the roastiness appropriately and give me a med-full mouth feel.

Hops (41 IBUs) Magnum at 60 min EKG at 10 min

Yeast: Wyeast 1272 (American II)

I plan on adding 4g Gypsum, 10g CaCl2, and 10g Baking Soda to the Mash. This will give me a pH of approx. 5.6 per Bru'N and Brewer's Friend (I've read in multiple places that a Mash of 5.6 will lend less organic acids in the final pH, yeilding less acidity to accentuate the roastiness in the malts). Furthermore, my chloride to sulfate ratio will emphasize the malt bill. The total sodium will be around 70ppm, rounding out the flavor as well (I've read that a max of 80ppm is recommended for dark ales). Ca = 84 ppm, Na = 73, Chloride = 128 , Sulfate = 56.

Planning on fermenting around 65-66ºF until most activity subsides and I'll raise gradually.

Any critiques/questions are welcome! If anyone has any sources/recipes they'd like to send my way that I should consider for incorporation into this one, let me know! THANKS!

Back