received 25lbs of hops! still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moerawn

Reaction score
So a friend of mine purchased a storage locker and insides was some equipment from a brew pub that closed down. I went to look at it and ended up with a 25lbs bag of centennial hops, four 50lbs bags of malted wheat. Three 15 gallon ball lock kegs, a 20lb co2 tank, 7gal of calcium sulfate, 7 gallons of calcium chloride, and a whole bunch of cleaner and sanitizer.

The question is Arevthe hops still good. They are pellets. They don't smell cheesy. They were in the storage locker for a little less than a year with an average temp around 80degrees. The bag was open but and been rolled up and taped shut. The hops smell like hops but not a strong as a fresh bag. They are browner in color than a fresh bag. I used a calculator and found that they should be around 3% AA compared to the original 11.5%AA

personally...i wouldn't use them, but since you have 25lb, brew a batch of two hearted and see what you think.

That's what I am thinking. Might have to do brew in a bag instead of brutus 20 since it is going to be 100% wheat malt

Maybe save some of the hops for later use. If you ever plan on brewing a more barnyardy style like a lambic, those oxidized hops would be perfect.

Back