REALLY Used Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
I found these used ball lock kegs described as "These kegs have seen some serious bar fights but know how to hold their own... pressure!". The photo used leaves me a little uneasy about ordering a couple, but they are the cheapest I can find since my homebrew stores near by all want $70 for used.

Anyone order these "Class 3" ball lock kegs? And if so is the beat to hell aspect going to have any negative impact?

http://www.bvrgelements.com/product/5-Gallon-Keg-CUT-HANDLE-Ball-Lock-Used/

As long as they hold pressure and are not bent in half, and thus not hold 5 gallons, they should be fine. The missing handles will not have any negative impact on the taste of the beer. I didn't look about shipping costs. I found some locally on craigslist for $45.

I say you should be good because they hold pressure. Try Craigslist. You should be able to find them for about 35-50 dollars. Good Luck!

I think home brewing is too popular in seattle, corny kegs under $50 on craigslist seem to sell instantly around here.

really? wow! In the last month I saw two listings for Ball lock 5g kegs for $20 each. Next time I'll pick them up for you. Shipping has to be cheaper then $30. The site you listed shipping wasn't bad for me. $14 for one keg.

I think home brewing is too popular in seattle, corny kegs under $50 on craigslist seem to sell instantly around here.

except for the rare screaming deal(always last month or 1/2 way across the country), $50 is about the going rate for kegs now.
rebuilt $10-$20 more.

really? wow! In the last month I saw two listings for Ball lock 5g kegs for $20 each. Next time I'll pick them up for you. Shipping has to be cheaper then $30. The site you listed shipping wasn't bad for me. $14 for one keg.

Let me know, that would be awesome, thanks

I bought a couple of these "number threes" from the site you linked to. They weren't all that bad really. Came pressurized and ready to go. Best price around if you're on the west coast...Craigslist shows me no love!

This is where I got all four of my kegs (all cut handle) and they have been great so far. Can't beat the price and shipping was only like $18. Granted, I ordered two at a time.

HBers:
You may want to consider that a keg which has a ding bad enough to have a crease(yes, I know where such a keg is) will flex unevenly, under pressure changes, at the crease. This flexing causes hardening and metal fatigue, and it may eventually leak.

Got my Kegs in today, not only was it fast shipping but there it quite decent condition. Few dings and all 3 have a handle missing but came with a bit of pressure in them so i know they can hold it.

20130720_111322.jpg

Just thought id throw in an update. I have used one of the kegs and had no problems with it at all. Currently all three are filled with beer and carbonating for the 26th. Also they are selling them on the website again, if i had cash id be buying some more.

Updating this old thread. I have some of these kegs. They are in better shape than my local supplier sells for used kegs.

They are missing one handle each but that is fine with me, more room in the keezer to connect lines. :D

Just ordered 2 more, cannot beat the price even with shipping.

Received 2 more today. Kegs are in good shape just both are missing one handle each. Both came pressurized. Already filled one with my Pumpkin Ale. :ban:

image.jpg

Back