really overshot mash temp, can it be saved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrubins

Reaction score
So, I have been running an automated system of my own design, but it's had some trouble, so I switched back to a manual system.

Today, I mashed in my stout recipe at 152 and the temp dropped down to 142 while I had the burner on low, so I turned the burner up to 50% and went to sanitize my carboy. Came back 5ish minutes later and the mash was at 200* !!!!
I turned off the heat, dumped in 3 loads of ice cubes and things are now at 152*
However, I want to know A) did I ruin my mash B) can it be saved
Should I add some DME for diastatic power? My recipe calls for 1#, but I was going to add that post boil. If I add it now, will I get some precious, precious enzymes back to work?

Monitor your sg or brix. If it's not going up add something to get the conversion going again and start your timer over. Only way to tell if you don't have test paper.

Monitor your sg or brix. If it's not going up add something to get the conversion going again and start your timer over. Only way to tell if you don't have test paper.

I was at 1048 now i'm at 1053. Preboil gravity should be 1067. Is it worth adding DME now? Will that bring some extra conversion power to the equation?

Thanks!

How long was it sitting at 152 and dropping to 142? If you were in the 20 min range then man your fine. You denatured them and basically mashed out. But man if you were sitting at 152 for 15-20 min. I would be willing to bet you converted already.

Cheers
Jay

I was at 1048 now i'm at 1053. Preboil gravity should be 1067. Is it worth adding DME now? Will that bring some extra conversion power to the equation?

For future info., DME has no diastatic power. It's wort that has been dried into a powder.
Glad your wort ultimately turned out OK

Did you do an iodine test?
No, I don't have any iodine. I thought I did, but we just moved and it can't be located :(

After 2lbs DME and another hour at 145-152, SG was 1074, so I'll take it. Now we boil! :mug:

For future info., DME has no diastatic power. It's wort that has been dried into a powder.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted... I was thinking that some type of powder does have enzymes, which is called Diastatic Malt Extract (or similar) which is something different entirely! Oh well, there's enough sugars in there now to keep the yeastie beasties busy, anyway :D

Back