Really dumb BIAB question(probably)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dopeybrew

Reaction score
Im getting ready to make my first AG BIAB and I have a really dumb question. When doing the boil all I need to do is add the hops according to the schedule correct?

I apologize in advance for the silliness of the question Ive been a extract brewer for so long it seems odd to only have to add the hops.

Im going to start with a simple British Bitter from NB. Its my house beer and I know the taste well so Ill know if I screw the pooch.

Im going to start with a simple British Bitter from NB. Its my house beer and I know the taste well so Ill know if I screw the pooch.

I wish I had done something like that for my first BIAB. I also did a simple British Bitter, but it wasn't a style I had done before. And I'm doubling down by doing a comlex saison next. Oh well, one of the things I love about homebrewing is the experimenting with different things to see what works!

Im getting ready to make my first AG BIAB and I have a really dumb question. When doing the boil all I need to do is add the hops according to the schedule correct?

I apologize in advance for the silliness of the question Ive been a extract brewer for so long it seems odd to only have to add the hops.

Hops, immersion chiller for 10 mins at the end if you are using one, irish moss last 15 minutes if you are using it......

Good luck, you will be hooked I'm sure.

Now I have a question about water. Is bottled spring water fine for BIAB? I know with regular all grain water chemistry and PH can effect the final beer so is this something I should be concerned with?

Now I have a question about water. Is bottled spring water fine for BIAB? I know with regular all grain water chemistry and PH can effect the final beer so is this something I should be concerned with?

For lighter colored beers, I've started adding 2-3 oz of sauermalz to the grist, just to drop the pH a bit, but it's not a requirement by any means. It does seem to help my efficiency a little.

Bottled spring water will likely be fine. How is your tap water?
Tap treated w campden tablets can be fine as well, don't discount using tap water if you have decent tap water.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

+1 I have great tap water in North Bay Ontario, Canada. Never was worried about adding anything to my water, I still make great beer.

Back