Really Bad Ideas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vidarien

Reaction score
Heres a tip to anyone who is feeling a hint of laziness when it comes to clean-up. Don't do what I did:

So, I had just finished up fermenting a belgian wit in a 6.5 gal garboy, which had been sitting in there for about 4 weeks or so. I went ahead and racked it to a keg. Well, once I was done with that, it came time to clean out the carboy. So i went ahead and funneled in some water, wooshed it around a little and dumped out the yeast cake. Well, there was still a little in there, and then of course there was the old krausen remains on the sides. I went ahead and filled the entire carboy with hot water, then ran the carboy brush around the edges and unmucked all of the crap on the sides. At this point though that carboy was entirely filled with water, it was also very wet on the outside such that i couldnt get a good grip, and i was tired...so i said...ill finish the clean-up later.

Well, 4 days later came around...and this vile smell began to permeate through all of the vents in the house. It was as though my dog decided to have a No.2 accident every room of the house. I didnt realize it at first, but when I entered the laundry room, I identified that area as the focal point of the smell. Well, i knew what had to be done and I could not put it off any longer. I proceeded to grip the carboy and start to dump it at the sink, and I nearly dropped it twice from dry heaving over the smell coming out of it as i poured the liquid down the drain. Somehow i managed to get it all out and all was well...until the fumes started coming up from the drain. I ended up having to dump bleach down the drain and lysol the nearest 3 rooms. Unfortunately, for the next 3-4 hours...nobody wanted to be in the house..the smell was that rank.

So moral of the story is, dont put off what you can do right away when it comes to equipment clean-up. Also, never underestimate the pure putrid nature of yeast autolysis, its easily one of the worst smells ive ever smelled in my life.

Mmm.. delicious.. I have been lucky I guess. I got lazy on cleaning a carboy once but it didn't have nearly that much rankness to it!

I'll start cleaning more rapidly in hopes that I don't have a putrid/rancid slime bucket aging in the corner of the room :D

Whoa!! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you might want to buy a jet bottle/carboy washer. They'll clean most of that crap off. Then fill the carboy with warm water and use a scoop of oxyclean free. It will take care of the rest.

My gag reflex went off just reading your post.

+1 on the oxyclean. Every time I get krausen caked to the carboy that won't come off with the brush and soap/water i fill with water & oxiclean, let it sit for an hour, and take the bursh to it and it all comes right off :D

strict rule around here, NOBODY leaves, no matter how drunk or tired, until every utensil is cleaned, dried and put away.
that smell had to be brutal :drunk:

Learned my lesson on clean up after leaving the mash **** overnight and into the next afternoon in S. FL heat. When I went to scoop it out the mash jumped out in a red clown wig and kicked me in the nuts.

Learned my lesson on clean up after leaving the mash **** overnight and into the next afternoon in S. FL heat. When I went to scoop it out the mash jumped out in a red clown wig and kicked me in the nuts.

+1. Lol. The smell of old mash is as bad as sour milk. I've been lazy a couple of times with the mash tun. Needless to say I've learned my lesson.

Weird. I often leave have cleaned carboys full of water in the bath tub for a few days (until the wife yells at me) and I've never had smells that were any more powerful than the initial smell of the yeast cake.

i use the jet washer to clean off the crap and can leave the carboy for a good while before actually "cleaning" it. never had any problems. but yeah, that sounds heinous. ill make sure not to do that. i'm gagging just thinking about it. although the carboy usually doesn't have a chance to sit out. pretty much putting something right back in it as soon as i can. i did leave some tubing in a bucket one time with out rinsing it. i used it to siphon some pumpkin ale. it was pretty nasty

I don't have the luxury of leaving a dirty bucket in the house. You guessed it, I'm married.

I have tried to clean everything up when I'm done. Sometimes It's very late and I leave a few of the tough things to soak until the next day, but that's as far as I push it.

This summer I ID find a small SS pot of hops that I had strained from the hot wort before chilling. I guess it had been lost in the garage for a week or two... WOW! The exact opposite of the wonderful smell of fresh hops! This stuff had green and grown mold growing all over it and the wort have thickened up to the point of looking like maple syrup!

Oxyclean and green scrubby!

I "somehow" (too much sampling), forgot to clean my MT once. I left it sitting there all pretty on the brew stand. Came time to brew the next week and that was an epic adventure.

The mold looked sorta like cotton candy almost filling the tun. The smell when emptying it caused a severe reverse peristalsis action to occur (fancy term for projectile vomiting :D ). I didn't end up brewing that day. After fully dismantling and scrubbing every inch of that pot I just wasn't in the mood anymore.

Lesson learned: I never sample until cleanup begins. Strangely enough, I find that drinking an brewing do not mix! :drunk:

Lesson learned: I never sample until cleanup begins. Strangely enough, I find that drinking an brewing do not mix! :drunk:

I always start my brew day at about 9am. I don't drink before noon so I am usually almost done before I crack my first beer.

Even after I clean my mash cooler, it stays lid open for a week.
It is unreal how fast that smell develops.

Fortunately for me I learned that lesson in a bucket. I left some sort of crap in there for a while. When I got to opening it, it was all wet and moldy and nasty. I just threw away the whole thing that week in the trash. Easy to do with a $7 bucket, but I probably could not just throw away a carboy just for being dirty.

I guess if you really wanted to punish a friend, you could always just throw some warm water in a fermenter filled with the remains of a primary after racking, and stick it by their furnace exchange vent. Within a week the house would be uninhabitable.

I am not advocating this idea, unless your friend stole a girl/ripped you off for hundreds/etc. The smell truly is that horrifying, assuming the right (wrong?) conditions.

this thread reminds me of the time I left perch in the livewell of my boat, for a couple days....in the summer..yes I puked

I took some friends from work to the lhbs during lunch. I bought a couple of smackpacks. On the way back to work, one of the guys in the car was looking at one of the packs. "Do you really sanitize the outside of the pack before you open it?"

"Yep, everytime..." :)

this thread reminds me of the time I left perch in the livewell of my boat, for a couple days....in the summer..yes I puked

My idiot brother borrowed my last tackle box and left Sand Fleas in it for 3 months. We couldn't find where in the hell the smell was coming from in the garage, we pulled everything out and then started searching boxes assuming it was a dead rat/cow that got into a box. Opened the tackle box to find sludge.

My solution to the "heavy carboy full of water" problem is just to use buckets: lighter and easier to clean and store. Yeah, I'm lazy :). I'm even tempted to sell my two carboys to a friend of mine who makes wine just because I can't be arsed to buy a carboy brush and get the last remaining pieces of krausen gunk off the sides.

Back