Ready for a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsteab0yz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my kegging system in the mail today. I have a pale ale, day #20 in the primary. Still not clear yet, but I would like to keg it tomorrow so I can have it at a party on Friday. Should I leave it outside tonight to cold crash it and then keg tomorrow? Or not cold crash? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes I cold crash and other times I dont.. Personally, I don't care if my beer is a little cloudy.. It never seems to affect the flavor... But if you want it clear, by all means, set it outside and cold crash it for 24 hours... If I were you, I would rather have the extra day to make sure it carbs up properly than to waste another day while cold crashing if you want it by Friday..

I would cold crash it until Friday morning. Add 1 tbs. gelatin solution to the keg and rack on top of it. Force carb the keg and it will be ready to drink in 20 minutes. I force carb every keg until I get the desired level of carb. Usually it takes about 15 to 20 minutes.

If you need detailed procedures on how to do this, let me know.

You could always cold crash it once it's in the keg. This would allow you to carb it up while cold crashing it (assuming you have a fridge to crash it in). Then just serve the first couple sediment filled pints to yourself before the guests arrive.

Also, it might not be as cloudy as you think in the glass compared to the carboy where you are looking through a lot more fluid. Just something to think about.

Latest posts

Back