Reading material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmccoy

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a new home brew book. Being a beginner I'd love some suggestions that have some good beginning level instruction and maybe some slightly more advanced stuff.
Thanks in advance!

www.howtobrew.com

This is the first edition and it is free to read in its entirety. It has some dated information but for a first read it is the best. I read it and then bought the second edition which I though was reasonable priced to have on hand. Once you have made a few batches of beer, say 20 or 30, you might want more advanced info but by then you'll have a better idea of what YOU want.

Agreed, and I also recommend the Complete Joy of Homebrewing. That's the one that got me started.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Then, when you get your process down & are looking for new horizons to conquer, there's a few more. Like yeast, water IPA's & others available from supply sites,& other places where books on brewing are available. Brewing classic styles is another one.

Awesome! Thanks I didn't realize this was out there. I'll check it out.

You could always check out the store on the AHA website, or just search Amazon for homebrew or brewing. There are a ridiculous number of books out there targeting different skill levels.

I am pretty excited about the upcoming book on Malt.

I recently finished "The Joy of Home Brewing" and while I've brewed for almost 20 years it was a treasure of info! Papazian and Palmer are two of the very best for initially getting started.

Randy Mosher has a how-to home brew book due out in a few months as well. Based on his other books I'm pretty excited about that one.

- My name is Barny, and I'm an alcoholic.
- Mr. Gumbel, this is a Girl Scout meeting.
- Is it? Or is it that you girls can't admit you have a problem? (The Simpsons)

I would also recommend Beersmith podcasts as a wealth of information for you. I've listened to damn near all and learned quite a bit. I don't always have time to sit and read, so I have the podcast playing in my car, or on my head phones when I run.

I took you up on the home brewing podcasts. I spend a lot of time in the car for work so I've listened to about a third of them in three days. Also reading the How to Brew book online. Trying to take in as much as possible. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back