Reading hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG81

Reaction score
Just finished brewing a Guinness Clone by Learn to Brew and put it in for fermentation. This is my 3rd attempt, had one good and one bad

Anyway this is the first one I used the hydrometer. My results were:

32 SP. GR
5% potential ABV
10 Brix/Plato

Is that good? How should I read that

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406408912.975478.jpg this is what the recipe listed for stats

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You may have a 'triple scale hydrometer'. Look at it, and you should have the plato/balling scale, the ABV, and the SG scale. You look at the SG scale.

Do you have a photo?

Edit- I just read your post again. You have SP GR 32. That means your specific gravity is 1.032. I didn't see that before.

Temperature is important in these readings. Let your sample sit until it reaches room temperature, then take a reading, then use a website (google it) to correct the value from your room temperature to the instrument's calibrated temperature. The calibrated temperature is invariably written on the scale in the hydrometer in tiny print at the bottom or top. It's almost always 68F or 60F.

The value you want is "SG", for specific gravity. When taken before fermentation, that's your OG, "original gravity." It will change as fermentation changes sugars, which are heavier than water, to alcohol, which is lighter than water. After fermentation is finished, that is your FG, "final gravity." The difference between OG and FG is a good measurement of the ABV of your beer.

It's read as 1.0xx, i.e. 1.032 or "ten thirty two" in your original post. I bet that was at a high temp, wasn't it?

Thanks all.

Yes, it was measured about 20 minutes after it was removed from stove, probably about 78-79 degrees

Latest posts

Back