RE: Using Amylase to Clear Starch Haze Anyone have tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtogio

Reaction score
Hey all!

So, I have a nearly finished wine with a starch haze. I read that adding amylase will help get rid of it, but I have not found anywhere that explains how you should add the amylase to the cloudy wine.

Does anyone know how this is done?

Hey all!

So, I have a nearly finished wine with a starch haze. I read that adding amylase will help get rid of it, but I have not found anywhere that explains how you should add the amylase to the cloudy wine.

Does anyone know how this is done?

It is more likely to be pectin. Pectic enzyme is the right tool for the job here.

That's what I would explore, not amylase.

I'm not very well versed in wine but it is something I have used in cider to precipitate out pectin. Works well and works fast.

It is more likely to be pectin. Pectic enzyme is the right tool for the job here.

That's what I would explore, not amylase.

I'm not very well versed in wine but it is something I have used in cider to precipitate out pectin. Works well and works fast.

For full disclosure, the wine isnt a traditional grape wine. It was made out of Toyon berries (I live in California) which are sort of starchy. Also, I had to boiled the fruit at the beginning (due to the cyanide content in the seeds), so I get a hunch that the haze is being caused by starch.

I also used bentonite and sparkaloid on it already. Its much clearer than it was two months ago, but still not transparent, at least not in the carboy.

If it is pectic, should I just add the pectic enzyme directly to the wine?

I would add both pectinase and amylase enzymes to clear wine made from starchy fruits. I currently am doing this with my banana wine.

Also cold crashing works great for clearing a wine at the end of fermentation, and prior to bottling.

Back