re-freezing frozen berries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaypigeon

Reaction score
I am wondering if raspberries/blackberries should be thawed, possibly crushed, and then re-frozen. I am thinking with the high tech ways they freeze fruit now, the cells may not burst and by re-freezing after a thaw I would force that to occur (releasing more flavor potential from the berry). I know there are many ways to do fruit additions, but wondering what you folks have found to be "truth in practice" in your experiments. I am doing a double batch of raspberry sour tomorrow.

I thaw fruit, smush it a bit, and use it. Based on what it normally looks like after fermentation, my guess is that refreezing would have had minimal value.

FWIW, I've never heard of someone doing what you're proposing. Why don't you try it and let everyone know how it compares?

PXL_20201111_004030486.jpg
I opted for thaw, mash, add pectic enzymes, wait 1 hour stirring occasionally, refill beer 🍺, bag, add to secondary, and rack on top. Here are the sexy twins, Cherry and Raspberry...Like if you think they are 🔥

Back