Re-bottling an already bottle primed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I brewed a beer about a month ago that I bottle primed and am not really happy with the way it tastes. I'd like to add some flavorings to it and then bottle it again. Anyone ever tried it before? I know I'd be exposing the beer to a lot of oxygen if I were to pour the bottles back into the bottling bucket and bottle from there, but I don't have any other ideas on how to go about it.

Thanks!

What are you unhappy with, and what flavourings are you planning to add? If it's some sort of off-flavour that's bothering you, it might be hard to get rid of it.

With the oxidation you will get from putting it back into a bottling bucket it will not be worth it. If I were you I would age it a little longer as it may get better. If not look at your processes and try again.

If it were my batch, I'd leave it alone and drink it and, at the same time, make a note on that recipe on what should be changed next time, and brew it differently next time.

Monkeying around with a fermented, conditioned beer is just a recipe for disaster. If you really want to fix this beer, try pouring a little honey, or DME, or vanilla, or espresso, or bourbon, or whatever in a glass and pour a single bottle into it and drink it that way - or, heck, get a big glass and blend two beers together. Better than messing up a whole batch.

If you don't care for it now you most certainly not care for it any more after you dump it, modify it and re-bottle it unless you like drinking oxidized and potentially infected beer:)

As mentioned, take notes, let it age a bit and make a better batch next time.

I heard a podcast on Basic Brewing Radio recently where the guest refermented previoiusly bottled beer with bret and lacto. Seemed to work for them (the bret more than the lacto) and I am trying it now.

I had a batch of RIS that was a little underattenuated (1.024 FG when a carboy fermented warmer hit 1.020) and was under carbed in the bottle, probably due to long secondary. The combination was syrupy and pretty much undrinkable. I filled a 3 gallon better bottle with the beer plus 15% of an older barrel aged stout that also never carbed well, and added a pitch of bret brux drie. No clue if it is going to work or not but the beer looks happy to me in the carboy. My guess is 4 months or so with the bret and I will start looking at gravity. Am thinking to bottle some straight and also use it as a blending beer with a pale sour sort of like New Belgium's Oscar and Bruery's Melange #1.

If I were going to do something like this I'd also fill the carboy with CO2 before racking off the bottles. The CO2 will displace the oxygen.

Back