Re-Bottle Store-Bought Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James C

Reaction score
We are planning some fun and games for a work party where there's quite a few homebrewers.

I want to play a tasting game and have folks identify the type of beer. However, I want to throw a few curve-balls in there and include one or two store-bought beers.

Issue us - we need all of the bottle to look the same.

Is it possible for me to pour store beer into a glass bottle (the same I use for homebrewing), cap them and store them overnight. Would it still still taste good and retain carbonation the next day?

I don't want to do it if they'll lose taste/carbonation as it will give the game away.

There are two issues with the notion: first, you will most assuredly lose carbonation. Second, you'll almost as assuredly oxidize the beer in short order (like, hours later). No bueno...

Cheers!

If you have a bunch of carbonation caps, you could put all the various beers into plastic soda bottles then purge the air and recarbonate.

You may be more successful if the beer you're transferring is ice cold (30-32F), as well as the receiving bottles. Work quickly and prepurge the receiving bottles with CO2 right before filling. You may be able to pour from the can or bottle directly into the receiving bottle, slowly, with a steady hand, under a good angle to prevent splashing and foaming, as if you're pouring it into a glass. Undoubtedly there will be some loss of carbonation, which may give away your gimmick.

You could first transfer the content of the cans/bottles to plastic bottles first, over-carbonate a little, then transfer ice cold as above. Or use a racking cane and counterpressure.

You'd probably need the content of 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 to get a full refill.

Or... rack the bottles/cans first into a small 100% liquid pre-purged keg. Re-carbonate and transfer to bottles as usual. Again, everything being as cold as heck when transferring. That's probably the best and most authentic way to fool the crowd.

Back