Ratios between Chocolate and Black malt to learn the difference between them.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewMoisen

Reaction score
I'm brand new to all grain, having only brewed 4 batches (2 hefeweizens and 2 pale ales). I'm trying to learn the grains, and have attempted to make relatively identical brews while modifying only a single variable.

E.g., for the hefeweizens, one was 50% wheat 50% pilsener, one was 66% wheat 33% pilsener; for the pale ales, one was 100% 2row, one was 90% 2row, 10% crystal 40L.

I wish to explore porters next. I wanted to do three batches:

1. 80% English Pale, 20% Chocolate
  2. 80% English Pale, 20% Black
  3. 80% English Pale, 10% Chocolate, 10% Black

My absolute main concern is to learn how chocolate malt and black malt affect the end result of the porter

Are these ratios large enough to help me understand the difference? Are they too large that I might not enjoy the end result? Would it be best to cut it down to 15% instead of 20% adjuncts?

I'm trying to decide between two yeast: Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (Attenuation 71-75%) or Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale (Attenuation 68-72%)

From what I understand, the 1084 is attenuates better and therefor will lead to a dryer porter, while the 1099 attenuates less and therefor will lead to a sweeter porter.

I know I typically prefer a sweet stout to a dry one. However from Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers, I thought I read that porters are supposed to be dry, while stouts can be dry or sweet.

From the ratios I've listed above, would a less attenuating strain of yeast have any deleterious effects on the taste of the beer?

Thank you.

I have a nice robust chocolate porter recipe and I only use 4 oz. Black Patent and 10 oz British Chocolate 425L malts. You don't need a whole lot to get the color and you don't want to overpower it in a 5 gallon brew. For that I try to match London conditions and would use a Wyeast 1028 or my favorite Wyeast 1968 yeast. But I would generally not go so heavy on the dark malts. I also use other specialty grains. Let me know if you want me to share my recipe. With your yeast options I guess I'd opt for the Whitbread yeast. I do use British Crystal also and might I suggest a British pale malt like Maris Otter or Golden Promise?

You can do this with a nano-mash using 1 qt Mason jars. For your first example put 80g of pale malt and 20g of Chocolate malt in the jar (crushed of course). Add 165F water up to about the ring below the threads. put a lid on loosely and let them sit for 1 hour....then taste and compare your jars to get an idea of how each specialty grain contributes. Do this side-by-side with as many combinations as you want to trial.

I also think that sounds like a lot of dark roasted malt and it may overwhelm any attempts at tasting differences. I tend to keep the dark roasted malt to 10%. As far as whether it's a porter or a stout, dry or sweet, my impression both historically and with current commercial beers is that the line between porter and stout (or stout porter if you like) can be pretty blurred. I guess it's different if you are entering competition and want to brew a classic style as defined by the BJCP. Otherwise IMO you should brew what you like to drink and choose the yeast accordingly, and I think you'll probably want some crystal in all the recipes.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back