Ratio of lemonade to beer in a shandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To taste. 3 parts beer 2 part lemonade Is what I would do, 1:1 is more traditional I think.

Yeah, entirely to taste. I'm not big on shandys but I love me some grapefruit juice radlers. Entirely depends on how sweet the grapefruit juice is. I usually do pretty close to a 1:1, but have been known to double the pils when the juice isn't tart enough.

My personal liking is enough lemonade concentrate to make 1.5 gallons of lemonade for 5 gallons of beer. Most lemonade concentrate that I've come across is 1 can for 2 quarts, so you'd need 3 cans. And you skip the water addition for the concentrate.

Using homemade lemonade would be tough to calculate. But...if you have a homemade lemonade recipe already, I suppose you'd just take the necessary amount of lemon juice and sugar that you'd use for 1.5 gallons of lemonade and dump that into the keg then rack the beer onto that mixture. Purge the air and then shake well and then immediately chill it so the yeasts don't eat the sugar.

Back