Ratio: Grain to DME to LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
I've been looking at the forum and wiki for quite some time, and I can't find any information on the ratio of the amount of crushed grain needed to get one pound of DME and LME. Basically, I'd like to know how much crushed grain has been mashed to get 3 pounds of LME. Anyone have an answer???

glenn514:mug:

Do you mean how much grain would be needed to have the same gravity in your brew as 3lb of extract? If so I think it would be equal to about 4lb of a base malt like 2 row.

You need to know the potential of the grains and the efficiency of the mash to get an exact answer. The table linked above works assuming about 75% mash efficiency, 36ppg of LME, 45 ppg DME, and an average 36 ppg of your grist. It's using 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME.

Thanks, friendly brewers! That's exactly what I was looking for but could not find. I now know that a beer I just brewed up, which used 9.15 pounds of liquid malt extract, would have needed over twelve pounds of crushed grains. Again, my thanks!

Thanks, friendly brewers! That's exactly what I was looking for but could not find. I now know that a beer I just brewed up, which used 9.15 pounds of liquid malt extract, would have needed over twelve pounds of crushed grains. Again, my thanks!

Depending on your efficiency, a good general rule of thumb is 1 pound two row= .75 pound LME = .6 pound DME

Back