Rathskeller Grain blend q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartracer2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an Alt beer kit from Norther Brewer and it has a pound of "Rathskeller Grain Blend" in it. I tried to find out what they were but I had no luck finding any thing by that grain name any place I looked.
So the question is, "What is in the bag". The recipe says " Rathskeller Grains:-1 lbs Weyermann Caramunich II" So I guess I'm a bit confused, why not just say that and label it as such if that's all it is?? What would you put into a recipe builder to cover that blend if it is one?
Thanks & Cheers,
Joel B. :mug:

^Agreed^ No need to over-think this one :)

One can google up a list of specialty malts that would fit the "Rathskeller Grain Blend" notion if assuming an Altbier, with CaraMunich II being one of at least a handful...

Cheers!

Thanks folks,
I was hoping somebody might have some sort of insight or historical workings of an obscure grain. It didn't shown up in the searches I had performed before I even posted the question. The results I got back referred to restaurants and or pubs, not any sort of grain or blend of grains.
I guess I was overthinking it, Hell, I might not like the style enough to reconstruct the recipe at a later date. That was the main reason for the question as I put all my recipes in Beer Smith even if it's just an extract boxed kit. (I like to see all the numbers but hate doing the math)
Oh well, it was worth a try.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Thanks folks,
I was hoping somebody might have some sort of insight or historical workings of an obscure grain. It didn't shown up in the searches I had performed before I even posted the question. The results I got back referred to restaurants and or pubs, not any sort of grain or blend of grains.
I guess I was overthinking it, Hell, I might not like the style enough to reconstruct the recipe at a later date. That was the main reason for the question as I put all my recipes in Beer Smith even if it's just an extract boxed kit. (I like to see all the numbers but hate doing the math)
Oh well, it was worth a try.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.
So did you ever find out the ingredients? I have been researching also with a e mail to Northern Brewer without a return! But I figured so. When I brewed the NB Altbeir I tasted the Rathskeller malt. Not using all of it I took a small sample to my local club and brewing supplies store. Both came to the conclusion that most of the malt was of Munich version but with some type of honey malt maybe on the basis of Melonidan. This was my thought also. After I tasted the Melonidan and Caramunich or Bonlander 40L I am thinking the same categories. One person thought a honey malt but I do not feel the sweetness is that pronounced and leaning more towards the Melonidan myself.

The all grain recipe for the NB alt lists:
-- 4-lbs.-German-Munich-malt-
-- 2-lbs.-German-Dark-Munich-malt-
-- 3.5-lbs.-German-Pilsner-malt-
-- 0.5-lbs.-Weyermann-Caramunich-II-

Not sure what the lb of Rathskeller blend would be, maybe 0.5 dark Munich and 0.5 Caramunich II?

I have been a NB customer for a long time, and I know that the grain bags are usually labeled with the beer kit name and "grain blend" I'm assuming that there is some overlap in grain blends between recipe kits, so a more "generic" (not really the right word) name would allow them to use one blend in multiple kits. I asked the guys at the store about the steeping grains and was told that what is on the instruction sheet is indeed what is in the bag.

Back