raspberry cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
So I made some raspberry cyser. It's damn good. I put the brew in a bottling bucket, added the berries in a nylon bag for 1 day and then let it sit still for 3-4 days before bottling. I noticed that I had a LOT of pulp in the bottles. It hasn't really changed the flavor much, but is there any way I could avoid the massive amount of pulp if I were to do it in the future? Would Pectic Enzyme do anything?

You might have been best off to rack off the fruit to another container to allow it to fully clear before bottling.
Pectic enzyme will prevent haze from pectin (and I use it on just about any melomel regardless of the expected pectin content), but won't have any effect on macroscopic pulp.
Bottom line is it's a cosmetic issue...as you noted, it shouldn't really affect the taste...

Does the pectic enzyme need to be included at the start of ferment, or can it be added at first rack?

Cold stops pectic enzyme from working. Alcohol diminishes its effects so the farther along your fermentation is (higher ABV) the less effective it will be.

I see a lot of recommendations to add it to the must 24 hours before you pitch the yeast. I've gotten good results adding it 1-2 hours before pitching.

Back