Rare Barrel Founder's Society

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it definitely sounds interesting... i'd be a lot more inclined if it were $50, $300 is a big number for a brewery that has no track record. (or if it were a little closer, some of the benefits are worthless to a bro in indiana).

then again, if i found a few fellers to split it with, i'd probably be in.

Yeah even though I live in the same state, a trip to Berkeley isn't something I can just "do". So we'll just have to see how I can manage it. I've got some buddies that will be able to trustee for me...so hopefully it'll work. Definitely gonna be cutting down my Hoarders purchases......**** my wallet

Sales have been suspended because of a technical problem. A lot of my friends got in but I didn't. Lamesauce.

I tried but never got through. Sent email and received reply within one minute assuring me I'll be able to purchase a membership if I still want one, whenever they resume sales. Enough time to taste their beer? we'll see...

No membership this morning. Hopefully they delay until the tastings next week.

At least than my opinion will go from nothing, to slightly biased.

wow, that many people signed up (or tried) that it locked out?
The site got really slow, and then their payment processing system died. Apparently there were quite a few people trying to get in, but I think the number was still small, just bigger than anticipated. Which is so shocking given that it's basically never how these things turn out.

The site got really slow, and then their payment processing system died. Apparently there were quite a few people trying to get in, but I think the number was still small, just bigger than anticipated. Which is so shocking given that it's basically never how these things turn out.
I know, even when the Bruery crashed it was far less than 1000 ppl on it. Which is even more surprising considering that even websites like craftbeerradio have far more ppl on it DLing their podcast, esp after Savor, and have no issues DLing several TBs of data. Yet a website trying to capture CC payments of at most a few hundred ppl and everything go fubar. Some things just aren't logical.

Not trying to **** on Rare Barrel, as it's a common issue among most websites. Hell even the GABF ticket site had the same issues. XBOX live when a new highly anticipated games come out, etc...

I'm in. Can't wait. More reasons to go to Berkeley and take the ol' lady to her college town. Ed from Ledgers will be seeing more of me again too.

their beers sound pretty good to me.

SKUs Me | Golden Sour Beer Aged In Oak Barrels | 5.3%
"SKUs me, is there any room on this shelf for another new brewery? There is? Great!!" SKUs Me, which is our very first blend, was fermented with Brettanomyces yeast and Lactobacillus bacteria and aged in oak barrels. This moderately tart golden sour beer has notes of lemon zest and hay.

Ensorcelled | Dark Sour Beer Aged In Oak Barrels With Raspberries | 5.8%
Ensorcelled is a blend of our oak-aged red sour beer and oak-aged black Brettanomyces beer. After blending our red and black sours together, we added raspberries and let the beer age in barrels for a few more months.

Shadows of Their Eyes | Dark Sour Beer Aged In Oak Barrels | 5.6%
Shadows of Their Eyes is a dark sour beer fermented with Brettanomyces yeast and Lactobacillus bacteria and aged in oak barrels. Aromas of chocolate complement the dark fruit notes in this assertively sour beer.

Proportional Response | Amber Sour Beer Aged In Oak Barrels | 4.8%
Proportional Response, a balanced amber sour beer, is a blend of our mouth-puckering red sour beer and our faintly tart pale sour beer. The result of this blend is well-balanced amber sour beer with moderate tartness and hints of cherries and grapefruit.

Now that the sign up window is closed, has anyone tried their stuff at any of their "meet the brewers" events? I've heard mixed but generally positive reviews. I wish they gave us a list of what to expect this next year. I hope it's not 5 dark sours

Now that the sign up window is closed, has anyone tried their stuff at any of their "meet the brewers" events? I've heard mixed but generally positive reviews. I wish they gave us a list of what to expect this next year. I hope it's not 5 dark sours

I did at their City Beer Store and Beer Revolution event. The consensus among five of us was we both liked the SKUs Me and Ensorcelled, which I cannot pronounce. People liked Ensorcelled a bit better, and I really dug SKUS Me as I warmed up. This was of course after slamming a lot of Cable Car at Toronado, so we might have been high off that.

Anyways, I joined the club because it is close to my house, the wife loves sours, and it give us an excuse to visit that place called the East Bay.

Yeah, I think one of these guys worked on Mother Funker...

THEOFFICEmichaelnooooo.gif

Yeah, I think one of these guys worked on Mother Funker...
Nah, he moved on before that. It took them nearly a year to start Societe before the doors were opened.

Really? Why doesn't Societe make sours then?.
They do. Their barrel room is filled to the brim. Just waiting for them to get done.

AFAIK the guy that worked on Mother Funker was the guy that ran the barrel program during the "acetobacter years." I thought that was like his first attempt at sour blending?

Edit: The guy that started Societe has a healthy disdain for vinegar flavors in sour beers. Hopefully that carries through in his sour beer making.

Nah, he moved on before that. It took them nearly a year to start Societe before the doors were opened.

They do. Their barrel room is filled to the brim. Just waiting for them to get done.

AFAIK the guy that worked on Mother Funker was the guy that ran the barrel program during the "acetobacter years." I thought that was like his first attempt at sour blending?

Edit: The guy that started Societe has a healthy disdain for vinegar flavors in sour beers. Hopefully that carries through in his sour beer making.
I was talking about Rare Barrel. Not society.

Society? Is that how it's pronounced? I thought it was so-she-et.
I've always thought it was the French spelling of society so I pronounced it so-sye-tea.

Also, thought the barrels in their tap room was barrels of a BA stout or something. Didn't think they were sours. I may have to take a trip to SD once they're ready

The Rare Barrel guy does as well. I've been too lazy/busy to go try their stuff, but so far acetic is not something I've heard.

The Rare Barrel guy does as well.
That’s good to hear – I love sours but really dislike acetic acid, so I bought in on The Rare Barrel membership hoping that it would basically be The Bruery Sour Reserve Society Minus Acetic Acid.

Also, thought the barrels in their tap room was barrels of a BA stout or something.
No no no… they’ve made it clear that’s not a route they’re interested in taking. I went to their anniversary dinner at O’brien’s, and just to poke fun at them about their resistance against bourbon barrels, Tom paired the Butcher with a brownie that had a ton of bourbon in the icing (which means it can’t be cooked off).

I would look to Russian River if you want to guess how Societe is going to use their barrels.

Last edited:
Was going to buy a membership until I tried them. Not bad, but not worth it.
This is not encouraging. A couple of guys said their beers were better than any BA beers SARA has put out so I was a bit giddy. Hoping they just had their lower caliber beers out to sample and the Founders stuff is much better.

These guys did just open. so i'm guessing they will need to some time to get settled in. I just love that fact that they only do sours. so i'm guessing some really strange/delicious sours are going to be coming out of here.

Same here. Decent and there is potential, but cannot justify forking over that cash.
and umm...no way are their beers better than sara beers. thascrazy. I do hope they reach that level in the future!

They called it rare barrel? Dang, this whole time I thought people referring to that on this site were joking about a made up brewery/society

I would not be encouraged about this becaus the Bruery's sours have actually gotten exponentially better since he left.

Latest posts

Back