Imperial Stout Rapture Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI an easy alternative yeast option is using 2 packets of 04 - It finishes sweet and works fast and clean in big stouts. I've had alot of success with it, more so than 05 in this style.

Cracked open a bottle for Stout Day...WOW this is a wonderful RIS...HAPPY STOUT DAY!!

Brewed this back in March.

RIS_zps5247af42.jpg

I brewed this beer back in April with the intent to make some christmas gifts out of it in the process. It was actually the second beer I've EVER brewed. All i have to say is thank god for beginner's luck because this beer is amazing!

Brewed: 4/20 (og: 1.132)
Re-Racked with Angel's Envy Bourbon Barrel Chips: 6/16 (1.023)
Bottled: 11/21 (1.024)

Made 18 bombers with ~3.75 gallons in the final product. I waxed the tops and added custom labels, and then added bottle x of y to the bottles to add the extra flair...

photo%252520%2525285%252529_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

photo%252520%2525287%252529_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

photo%252520%2525286%252529_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

photo%252520%2525283%252529_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

photo%252520%2525284%252529_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Freeride - where'd you get your labels from?

My biggest beer yet is another stout with roughly 18 lbs of grain. This has 4 more...I'm using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I fly sparge any tips? I was at capacity during that batch. But I'm dying to brew an ris

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

My biggest beer yet is another stout with roughly 18 lbs of grain. This has 4 more...I'm using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I fly sparge any tips? I was at capacity during that batch. But I'm dying to brew an ris

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

My 10G cooler MLT was nearly maxed with the 22+ lb grist at a 1.25L/lb mash ratio (although the old "Can I Mash It? calculator says you can squeeze closer to 30 LBS in with a thicker mash).

I batch sparged it, but I don't see why you couldn't fly-sparge if you start running off a bit before beginning your sparge. A mash-out might be tricky though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Just really liked the little extra touches of your lable (brew date, bottle numbers, etc.).

Thanks a lot! I knew I wanted to make some ageable beer as Christmas gifts. I was loving how the taste was developing after primary and throughout the secondary fermentors, so I knew I had my beer. Thus, I spent some time figuring out how to take this gift to the next level!

In related news, I brewed this beer again on 1/2/14. Used a 3-step mash on my new digitial single-tier system (protein, sach, and dext rests). I wanted to step up the mouthfeel and "thickness" of the beer. Kegged 5 gallons, and an uncarbbed taster....two words: NAILED IT!!!

Just finished this last night. OG at 1.15, and used a WLP007 starter. Taste at yeast pitching was nice. Sweet, chocolate, coffee. Looking forward to putting it on local whiskey soaked Oaked chips in a month or so!

Just an update on mine... Tasted a small today. Sweet, chocolate, some oak/vanilla. Not as much of a whiskey flavor as I had hoped for. I'm hoping another month will perhaps improve this area. But, a question while I'm on the topic - as this is my first bourbon-esque beer with oak chips. I soaked the oak chips in whiskey for 2 months prior. When transferring to secondary I strained the chips and put them in the fermenter. Was this the best way to do it? Should I have transferred some of the whiskey itself into the Carboy, or has the batch itself told me to use more oak next time? I used roughly 2oz. This time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just an update on mine... Tasted a small today. Sweet, chocolate, some oak/vanilla. Not as much of a whiskey flavor as I had hoped for. I'm hoping another month will perhaps improve this area. But, a question while I'm on the topic - as this is my first bourbon-esque beer with oak chips. I soaked the oak chips in whiskey for 2 months prior. When transferring to secondary I strained the chips and put them in the fermenter. Was this the best way to do it? Should I have transferred some of the whiskey itself into the Carboy, or has the batch itself told me to use more oak next time? I used roughly 2oz. This time around.

I don't think it matters much if you add extra whiskey alongside the oak addition or at bottling. I've done it both ways and haven't noticed a difference.

I also prefer oak cubes over chips, to me they contribute more of the coconut and vanilla flavors I enjoy in barrel aged beers.

I don't think it matters much if you add extra whiskey alongside the oak addition or at bottling. I've done it both ways and haven't noticed a difference.

I also prefer oak cubes over chips, to me they contribute more of the coconut and vanilla flavors I enjoy in barrel aged beers.

Thanks! Will have to try cubes next time. I bought a few spirals last week, only because getting chips into a bag and through the Carboy opening was a pain. Cubes would be easier. Will decide on adding whiskey at bottling pending taste at transfer to bottling bucket. Thanks for response!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just brewed this yesterday with a friend and came in with an OG of 1.096 with 6 gal volume (still trying to get my volumes right, should have had 5.5ish). Hit the wort with pure O2 for 2 minutes before pitching my yeast slurry (3 step, ~700 bil cells). Active fermentation started within 4 hours, and this morning I have a huge krausen. I thought I remember reading somewhere to hit with pure O2 again at the 12-24 hour point... what have other people done? I'm a little leery of opening it up to add O2 even though it's a very vigorous fermentation.

Just brewed this yesterday with a friend and came in with an OG of 1.096 with 6 gal volume (still trying to get my volumes right, should have had 5.5ish). Hit the wort with pure O2 for 2 minutes before pitching my yeast slurry (3 step, ~700 bil cells). Active fermentation started within 4 hours, and this morning I have a huge krausen. I thought I remember reading somewhere to hit with pure O2 again at the 12-24 hour point... what have other people done? I'm a little leery of opening it up to add O2 even though it's a very vigorous fermentation.

It is from Chris White/Jamil Z's book, Yeast. Good read. It is mainly for higher ABV beers or if you're not sure of the vitality of the yeast. It also helps to make sure that the yeast get to their full attenuation potential. You could go either way. If I had pure O2 sitting around, I'd probably hit it with some around 12-16 hrs.

Bottled last weekend. Decided not to add any additional whiskey as more of the flavors from both that and that chips were coming through. Amazing flavors all around. Will let it sit and carb until mid-September. Plan on opening first one on the first day of Fall.

Just a quick update. 7 days after pitching beer is at roughly 1.045-1.035 (using a refractometer conversion) down from ~1.096 (giving 9-10% abv), and the sample is absolutely amazing. Super smooth, roasty, chocolate and coffee flavors coming through. Quite possibly one of the best beers I've brewed and can't imagine what this will turn into after bulk aging in the keg. Going to give it another 2 weeks in primary for yeast cleanup per the recipe and then into the keg it goes.

How long does this take to carb up in the bottle? Mine has been bottled for about a month. Wasn't going to taste one until mid July, but pulled one out over the weekend with a friend, who was visiting from out of town. It was still flat (not too surprised, as I've heard these stouts can take months). The flavors were AMAZING. However, I'm hoping these will have carbonated by late September. Looking forward to enjoying at least a handful this winter and saving back rest. Am I being too hopeful?

Not sure how long carb time it would take for bottles, but you should at least have some signs of minimal carbonation at a month. If after two months and no carbonation, might be worth re-opening and adding a small amount of champagne yeast to each bottle to hopefully carb.

On the subject of carbing, I've had the stout in a keg for just around two weeks now at 12-13psi doing the slow carb method. Initial uncarbed samples were great, but the beer really becomes something else at the proper carb level. Creamy head, and even creamier mouthfeel. Did a side by side comparison with the tried and true Old Rasputin and this beer blows it out of the water. Gave my friend who helped brew this the same side by side and he thought the same. Super excited to see what this turns into over time. I will be entering this in a competition that is judged at the end of the year so it should be just about perfect by then. Definitely plan on already brewing this again despite the grain bill just barely fitting in my mash tun.

Not sure how long carb time it would take for bottles, but you should at least have some signs of minimal carbonation at a month. If after two months and no carbonation, might be worth re-opening and adding a small amount of champagne yeast to each bottle to hopefully carb.

Thanks! I guess I'll wait until 7/4/14 and see what the carb level is like. If it's still really weak, or none, I'll have to asses then about adding some additional yeast to the bottles. Any input on how much to add? Would adding the carb tablets be another option? I've never used them but I worry a little about over using the champagne yeast. I also plan to enter this one into a few competitions and already have several saved back. Even without the carbonation so far the flavors are outstanding. A well written recipe!

Update on mine. Still no carbonation last night. I'm guess I most likely ran out of available yeast at bottling to create carbonation. I'm going to try one more in early August (I swirled all the bottles last night). If no carbonation progress there, I think I'll look at picking up some EC-1118 champagne yeast and adding a few rehydrated drops into each bottle and recapping, as a means to salvage the batch. The flavors were great, just needs a tad bit of bubbles!

In regards to the OP it says he pitched a massive slurry, well I can't do that. What are people doing instead as far as size of yeast starters and type of yeast??? Doing a step starter or just pitching 2 vials of whatever yeast your using into a starter??? Looking at doing this in a month so I have time to get a starter going and chilling to decant all the liquid before brew day. He also split his batch into two carboys, is this a necessity or is putting 5.5 gal into a 6.5gal carboy with blowoff good enough?

In regards to the OP it says he pitched a massive slurry, well I can't do that. What are people doing instead as far as size of yeast starters and type of yeast??? Doing a step starter or just pitching 2 vials of whatever yeast your using into a starter??? Looking at doing this in a month so I have time to get a starter going and chilling to decant all the liquid before brew day. He also split his batch into two carboys, is this a necessity or is putting 5.5 gal into a 6.5gal carboy with blowoff good enough?

I used a 2.5 liter starter. I probably should have gone bigger, considering the carbonation problems I'm currently experiencing. I don't think two carboys is necessary. I did 5.5 gallons into a 6.5 gallon Carboy and lost just a little to the blowoff. Good luck! Definitely one ill brew again and play with.

I used a 2.5 liter starter. I probably should have gone bigger, considering the carbonation problems I'm currently experiencing. I don't think two carboys is necessary. I did 5.5 gallons into a 6.5 gallon Carboy and lost just a little to the blowoff. Good luck! Definitely one ill brew again and play with.

My plan is to brew this in a couple weeks let it sit in primary for 1 month, rack to secondary on bourbon oak cubes for 6 months, bottle and let it sit another 6 months and drink on my sons 1st birthday. Will I need to repitch any yeast when bottling due to the fact this will b bulk aging for 6 months???????

My plan is to brew this in a couple weeks let it sit in primary for 1 month, rack to secondary on bourbon oak cubes for 6 months, bottle and let it sit another 6 months and drink on my sons 1st birthday. Will I need to repitch any yeast when bottling due to the fact this will b bulk aging for 6 months???????

Hopefully you get some more feedback on this question. I'd almost think that as long as you pitch a large (and healthy) enough yeast starter, you should be good when it comes to bottling. Doesn't sound like anyone else in this thread has had to add more yeast at bottling like me.

I am about to bottle my RIS that has been sitting on oak and bourbon for the past six months. I've read up on it and am planning on using around 1.5 grams of yeast for 4 gallons. That's about a 1/8 of a packet of yeast. You don't really need all that much. I read of guys putting a while packet in and the only thing I can think of is how much yeast must be at the bottom of every bottle... Plus you only need a few million yeast to carb, not the billions you need for fermentation.

Will 22lbs of grain fit into a 10gal round cooler mash tun. I need to know this before planning on buying all the grain and realizing I don't have the room.

It'll fit, I've done 27 lbs w/ a thick mash in a 10 gallon MLT.

Check out the Green Bay Rackers Can I Mash It? mash calculator

Sadly I don't know if I'll be able to brew this recipe. In Beersmith I adjust my efficiency to 65% for higher gravity beers which bumps this grain bill to over 25lbs for a 5.25-5.5 gal batch. That will prob max out my mash tun unless I go for a smaller batch which I'd rather not do.

just brewed this yesterday, hoping to force carb and bottle just before christmas and give them out as gifts. Cant wait.

already sitting right at 11%abv, Ill give it a few days to see if the nottingham does anything else before i move it to secondary and oak it with bourbon chips

just brewed this yesterday, hoping to force carb and bottle just before christmas and give them out as gifts. Cant wait.

already sitting right at 11%abv, Ill give it a few days to see if the nottingham does anything else before i move it to secondary and oak it with bourbon chips

Hope it ages well for you!

After 6 months with bourbon soaked oak, it's finally on tap in my house. Delicious but still a little boozy. That mellowed though as it warmed in the glass. Love it!

1410979716813.jpg

After 6 months with bourbon soaked oak, it's finally on tap in my house. Delicious but still a little boozy. That mellowed though as it warmed in the glass. Love it!

Looks wonderful! Not giving up on mine yet. I will get this huge beer to carb. At least I'll know come brewing this again, in December, what to do next time to avoid the issue.

Planning on brewing this soon and am in the process of inputting the recipe into beersmith. I cant figure out what Malto-Dextrin grain is. Any advice?

Planning on brewing this soon and am in the process of inputting the recipe into beersmith. I cant figure out what Malto-Dextrin grain is. Any advice?

I don't use Beersmith, but I'm guessing maltodextrin is listed as a sugar or adjunct. I used it just to add some extra body.

Black gold. Did a cold crash for 5 days, and now I transferred to a corny with bulleit Bourbon soaked oak chips, it'll sit till mid November before I force carb and bottle

1412100869914.jpg

Is flaked barley a substitute for roasted barley? I've not seen many RIS recipes without roasted barley. Is this normal?

Is flaked barley a substitute for roasted barley? I've not seen many RIS recipes without roasted barley. Is this normal?

The flaked barley is for body. Chocolate malt and black patent are both roasted malts and lend a more subtle roast character. I've made this recipe in various incarnations and this version is my favorite, a bit sweeter than some RIS, but I think the level of roast balances nicely with the bourbon/oak notes.

Back