Ranking & Topping Off Plum Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
It's time to rack my two 1-gallon carboys of plum wine. Someone on this site suggested I top-off with Choya Umeshu Plum Wine. Reviews refer to this wine as a sweet dessert wine. I actually purchased Plum Gekkeikan, but upon sampling, I found it smells like a bourbon -- and tastes something between a wine and a bourbon.

This is not what I have in mind for my homemade plum wine. So now I'm considering topping off with a grape or even muscadine wine. Anyone have any great ideas? Or am I overthinking this? I'm open to suggestion.

It's time to rack my two 1-gallon carboys of plum wine. Someone on this site suggested I top-off with Choya Umeshu Plum Wine. Reviews refer to this wine as a sweet dessert wine. I actually purchased Plum Gekkeikan, but upon sampling, I found it smells like a bourbon -- and tastes something between a wine and a bourbon.

This is not what I have in mind for my homemade plum wine. So now I'm considering topping off with a grape or even muscadine wine. Anyone have any great ideas? Or am I overthinking this? I'm open to suggestion.

That's a tough one. The idea is to top off with a similar wine. Since that's not possible, a commercial wine that is fairly neutral would be a good bet. My plum wine comes from wild plums and ends up as a blush/rose wine, so I'd use white commercial sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio if I didn't have a homemade plum wine to top up with.

Back