range controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonkota

Reaction score
I've searched but haven't found anything similar to what I'm looking for yet.

I have a beautiful almond colored range in my basement. It is all mine:rockin:, oven is storage and the top burners work great. The large element is 2600w and boils wort in a fast enough fashion during the winter months.

What I would like is to control the temp of my wort better when doing a partial mash or specialty grains.

What controller would work and where should I really be looking to buy one if it exists? I have the wiring diagram for the stove too.

http://steelnthings.com/beer/P3190126.JPG <<Picture of range :fro:

You would basically want a PID and an SSR and all the basic components of a HERMS or RIMS system so that it could monitor the liquid temp and turn the range top off and on.

That's probably going to be quite a bit pricier and more complicated than just buying a small insulated cooler and doing your partial mashes and specialty steeps in it. Insulated coolers do a very good job at holding in heat.

edit: or you could just wrap more insulation around the pot on the stove.

That could be the reason I couldn't find anything then. I have a cooler to donate to the cause too :D

Thanks!

Back