Random Pump Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grannyknot

Reaction score
Sorry folks, I tried the search function, but couldn't find clear answers on these questions. I got a pump for Christmas, and used it for the first time last weekend. I used probably the bare minimum of its potential, just to figure it out. Basically only used it to pump wort through my plate chiller & into the fermenter. I have to say, it was a little overwhelming. It was pumping through there and filling the fermenter so fast, I had a lot of trouble regulating temperature. I use one of those blingman thrumometers to tell what temp my wort is at, which probably isn't the best method.

Anyway, fairly standard 1 pump setup. Kettle valve -> pump -> valve -> plate chiller -> long outlet hose either back up to kettle or into fermenter.

Here is my list of questions. Thanks,
1- Is the ciruculation of boiling wort, during the boil, a safe & effective method of sterilizing the plumbing, pump, & plate chiller?
2- Until I get a proper whirlpool fitting installed in my kettle, is it ok to just drape the “wort out” hose from my plate chiller over the top of the kettle, & hold it there with a clamp in order to achieve a whirlpool effect?
3- I’ve seen a lot of protective shields installed on brew stands for pumps. Is the purpose of these shields to protect the pump from heat, to protect the motor from hot water/wort, or both? If it is more of a heat shield, what is the heat tolerance? I have the pump mounted (motor side facing down), about 20" from the open flame of a banjo burner.
4- If a heat/moisture shield is absolutely necessary for a pump, does anyone have a link for a good DIY shield?
5- When my pump is not running, but wort is in the line, I get a small drip leak at the inlet side. When it is running, there are no leaks. Is this common, or do I need to check my fittings?
6- With a pump, I’d like to be able to cut down on kettle losses, and pick up more wort from the bottom of the kettle that I would normally just sacrifice to keep from having to tilt the kettle and risk a bunch of trub & hops going into the plate chiller. I’ve seen the stainless pick ups on bargain fittings, but was wondering if anyone has a better alternative to those.

1) Yes, at least in my experience. Boiling hot wort does wonders for sterilizing those things.
2) Yes, that works.
3) It's to protect the pumps from splashes of water/wort. A pump 20" away from a burner shouldn't be in much danger.
4) It's not absolutely necessary.
5) No, I don't think that's common. I suppose you could try to find out where that leak is coming from if it bothers you.
6) It sounds like you already have a hole popped in your boil kettle for your valve, so some dip tube configurations won't be ideal for you. Brewhardware.com sells a nice stainless dip tube setup that can be cut on your own to match you height requirements. That's the one I use.

Back