Ranco ETC / Sanyo 4912

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepoc2635

Reaction score
I finished my conversion last weekend, and I tried adding the Ranco tonight. From what I've read, the temp probe is fed through the drain hole in the back. I've removed the drain tray, but I can't see how the temp probe fits... It almost looks like it has to be bent to get past the compressor. I don't want to force it since it could be damaged. Right now, it seems like the compressor is just in the way. Any thoughts? :confused: :confused: :confused:

There's a rubber plug thing in the drain hole that you can yank out with pliers from the inside of the fridge. It's glued in. The hole is a lot bigger and easier to get things through without that in the way.

Thanks... I saw that but didn't think to remove it. Did you take any steps to fill that hole back in after you run your stuff through it? Should I worry about cold air leaking out? Once my conversion is complete, I'm going to have to make a label saying something like "Courtesy of Buford." You've really been a big help. Thanks again.

You want the hole to stay open so that any condensation from the back plate will drain out into the pan over the compressor where it will evaporate. I just yanked out the black rubber, ran the temp probe cord through it, put the drain pan back on, and just left it like that.

Yeah, I have a thought...why are you using a temp controller on a fridge? :confused:

I had mine set at 40F for a week of so and turned it up (temp down) one day and the next day my beer lines and a keg was frozen. :mad:

Now that I had a bracket I raised the temp a bit and it's fine now. :D

Is that exacly why you would use a temp controller? You set it at a certain temp and leave it...? Then , nothing would freeze. Maybe I'm missing something?

Lepoc2635 said:
Is that exacly why you would use a temp controller? You set it at a certain temp and leave it...? Then , nothing would freeze. Maybe I'm missing something?
You're right, but a 4912 doesn't have a freezer...just a plate along the back wall that generates the cold. It does get frosty though. :D

If you turn a 4912 up to max it will freeze. Mine can get down to 29 degrees. I put a temp controller on it so I can specify an exact temperature easily without trial and error with the built-in knob, as I do adjust temp depending on beer style.

Back