Ranco ETC question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMJ

Reaction score
Can a ranco 111000-000 probe be left in water? In my current ferm chamber its not working well to have it taped to the side of a carboy. I am thinking it would be much better off left in a yeast vial of water. I just dont want to ruin the probe doing it. I think it should be alright as long as the whole probe isnt submerged and only 1/2 to 3.4 is in water but I would like a confirmation.

No, it cannot be submerged. The probe isn't sufficiently sealed where the wire goes into the probe.

You can adjust it so that the probe sits in a yeast vial so it sits 1/2-3/4 submerged in water. You can also use the jelly from a thawed freezer pack instead of water.

I'm surprised to hear that simply taping the probe to the carboy isn't working for you. Do you insulate it? I know Jamil has good luck with this technique (less than 0.5 deg variation) but he first tapes the probe to the carboy, then tapes a piece of bubble wrap over the probe.

Hope this helps.

I moved it to a different carboy in the chamber when that is not directly being blown on by the ac unit. If that doesnt work I will be ordering one derrin.

I moved it to a different carboy in the chamber when that is not directly being blown on by the ac unit. If that doesnt work I will be ordering one derrin.

If it was in the direct stream of air flow that would affect it unless it was really well insulated. The plastic probes on the Ranco controllers have very little mass so getting it in an area where there are no influences other than what you want to measure really helps.

Try that and the bubble wrap like Broadbill suggested or I've had good luck with that flexible styrofoam packing. Those are decent alternatives to taking a direct measurement.

IMO there is no need to submerge the probe on a ranco. All you are looking to accomplish is to buffer the temp swings of the unit. I just wrap mine in a paper towel and then plastic wrap. A bit of insulation will accomplish the same thins as water.

Back