Ranco Dual Stage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
I just got my chest freezer and need to get a temperature controller. I've been perusing through tons of websites, and I came across this one:

http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc211000000-stage-prewired-temperature-controller-p-110.html

Does anyone have any experience with this one? I figured I should go for dual stage, even though I may not need to use it right away. And for the price, seems that it's a good deal. Sucks that it's on backorder, but I can wait.

Never used one, but they've been around for a long time. I know a lot of people used them for temp control before the more affordable STC-1000 made its way into the market.

Got mine from MoreBeer, looks like they've got it in stock.

I can't really speak to value compared to other controllers (this is the only one I've got) or versus wiring one yourself (this keyboard jockey can't wire), but with a chest freezer and a heat belt, it's worked great for me. Set-it-and-forget-it temperature control within a 1° range is pretty awesome after the old bucket-and-frozen-quart-OJ-bottles approach.

If you're getting the dual-stage controller, you might as well blow the extra $20 or $30 on some kinda heater, just to help guard against overshooting with the cooling.

No problem! On the STC1000, can I heat and cool at the same time like the Ranco? The website was a bit confusing.

No problem! On the STC1000, can I heat and cool at the same time like the Ranco? The website was a bit confusing.

The STC1000 is dual stage, so if the temp drops below your set point it will turn on the heating circuit. Likewise if it goes above your set point it will turn on the cooling circuit.

fwiw, the Ranco's are getting pretty long in the tooth, feature-wise, and don't even include an anti-short-cycle delay mechanism...

Cheers!

Thanks day_trippr. This might be a noob question, but what is the benefit of getting the dual sensors? Would I just attach each sensor to each bucket in the fermentation chamber? What if I'm doing two different styles?

Never mind, I spoke to Greg about this from the brewsbysmith website. Looks like I would need two controllers do to two different styles.

Latest posts

Back