Raise Mash Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph69

Reaction score
I’m attempting to raise my mash temp from 152 to mash out of 170 using my coil in my HLT - thus, recirculating the wort using my pump thru the coil.

Looking for a formula that will tell me the temperature of the required temp in my HLT to bring my mash temp up to 170

Cheers,
James

The "formula" for the minimum is to note the temperature of your HLT while maintaining a steady 152°F mash temperature, and add 18°F to that.
If you want to accelerate the mash temperature rise, start out even hotter then back down to that number...

Cheers!

I was thinking about boiling water to top up what’s remaining in my HLT, then start recirculating at 170

is there any risk to using a higher temp to bring mash out temp up quicker ?

Adding boiling water to the HLT would work I suppose, if it has sufficient room for the necessary addition.
As for any "risk", as long as you don't overshoot the mash out temperature significantly I don't think the ramp steepness matters...

Cheers!

Back