Rainbow Flavors soda extract - first batch complete.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoFortySX

Reaction score
On Saturday, the SWMBO and I made some Cherry soda, Cream soda and Strawberry Cream soda from Rainbow Flavors Extract and Munton's yeast. We used regular unboiled tap water, as we have good water here with very little chlorine. The sugar was used was regular Domino table sugar.

The Cherry and Cream were straight forward as the recipe instructed. The Strawberry Cream was the cream soda extract mixed with 1 ounce of artificial strawberry flavor.

They sat at about 70 degrees for 3 days in the same dark spot my beer sits. I just cracked open my first bottle of soda and I am pleased with the results. Here is the first glass of Cream soda.

184794_555701922378_64703099_31990377_7261776_n.jpg

My first impression of the Cream soda is that it is much more sweet than a regular soda. The difference in taste between real sugar and corn syrup in soda is amazing. The cream flavor is strong but not overwhelming. You also get a slight taste of yeast but thats not a big deal to me. I would say that I would like a little more crispness so I am going to let a bottle or two sit for a bit longer for some added carbonation. I know that real crispness isn't going to happen unless I start force carbonating the extract but being this is the first batch I wanna see what another day does to the flavor and carbonation level.

Thanks,
Jimmy

The Cherry Soda!

199300_555705515178_64703099_31990386_7834647_n.jpg

Nicely carbonated. It smells like a cherry "smelly" marker which I absolutely love the smell of. The flavor is artificial tasting but not as strong as the cream flavoring was. The sugar is also not overwhelming as it was in cream either. It is also lacking the slightly yeasty flavor but it might just be covered up my the strong cherry flavor.

Overall it is good!

So you would recomend the the Cream soda from Rainbow? I'm thinking of ordering some on my next beer order.

Yes I would. My advice would be to make a half or quarter batch to see how you like it then adjust the sugar from there. I would say that the sugar needs scaled back by about 25%!

They do say in the instructions for best flavor results, allow to sit in cool dark place for at least a week, two is better. Presumably, the yeast would eat more of the sugar, reducing the sweetness and upping the carbonation.

Back