Rahr 6 Row substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrc64

Reaction score
Getting another pumpkin ale going this weekend. Instructions say that if adding real pumpkin, I need to also add 2 lbs rahr 6 row. My LHBS does not have rahr 6 row. Is there something I can use instead in the event I can't locate it?

Thank you.

Any 6 row base malt should work. I presume they are recommending the 6 row as it has more diastatic conversion power than 2 row. That would help convert the starches in the pumpkin to sugars.

Any other brand 6-row, or any other brand 2-row.

Why the need for 6-row? What type of recipe are you using? Please post it.

Any other brand 6-row, or any other brand 2-row.

Why the need for 6-row? What type of recipe are you using? Please post it.

Not sure why the need. It's Northern Brewers pumpkin extract kit. Uses 6.30 lbs pale liquid malt extract, 1 lb dry malt extract and .5 lb caramel 40

They say if using pumpkin (6 lbs or so), to add 2 lbs rahr 6 row.

Not sure why the need. It's Northern Brewers pumpkin extract kit. Uses 6.30 lbs pale liquid malt extract, 1 lb dry malt extract and .5 lb caramel 40

They say if using pumpkin (6 lbs or so), to add 2 lbs rahr 6 row.

The pumpkin contains a lot of unfermentable starch. You need to mash it with some malt to convert the starch to sugar so the yeast can eat it. 6 row malts typically can convert more starches to sugars thatn 2 row malts.

Is this the kit?
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/smashing-pumpkin-ale-extract-kit

If so I would say make it without the pumpkin, the kit already contains the spices that taste like "pumpkin pie".

The pumpkin contains a lot of unfermentable starch. You need to mash it with some malt to convert the starch to sugar so the yeast can eat it. 6 row malts typically can convert more starches to sugars thatn 2 row malts.

Is this the kit?
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/smashing-pumpkin-ale-extract-kit

If so I would say make it without the pumpkin, the kit already contains the spices that taste like "pumpkin pie".

Actually want to get around 5-6 pounds of butternut squash in this one as I've heard this it what Shalafly puts in their pumpkin, and that one is my favorite!!!

American 2-row or American Pale malt will do fine. They have a diastatic power of about 130. You want to have a minimum of 30 per lb of mash ingredients. 6-row has a DP more like 160.

Canadian grains should work too, but not UK Malts as they have a much lower DP. So don't go using Maris Otter or the like. Just use a basic American base malt.

American 2-row or American Pale malt will do fine. They have a diastatic power of about 130. You want to have a minimum of 30 per lb of mash ingredients. 6-row has a DP more like 160.

Canadian grains should work too, but not UK Malts as they have a much lower DP. So don't go using Maris Otter or the like. Just use a basic American base malt.

Great advice! Thank you.

Back