Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed this tonight, exactly as written. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. Hit my OG of 1.060!
1C5C34F4-A699-4E40-9664-CC9F2C646075.jpeg
48F53B1B-2BC4-45BF-968D-7B9DC36C03C9.jpeg
EDED99F8-BC57-4363-B37E-DDDCE503AA07.jpeg
3B548864-616F-4E7B-AAA2-C9231B936952.jpeg

I'll be kegging my batch on Wednesday and I should be able to have the first couple of pints on Friday. I pressure fermented around 9psi. Should just transfer and let it sit for a couple days at serving pressure to finish up carbonation.

Did a closed transfer tonight. Final gravity was 1.012 for a 6.3% ABV! Hydrometer sample tasted great so I’m excited to see how it’ll be with some cold conditioning and a few days to finish up carbing. I’ll try it this weekend and see how it’s coming along
D12ABF88-97DC-402B-ADA3-68D309B2AC29.jpeg

Last edited:
Would this be as good without honey? Or any substitution ... red (huh huh) on page 2 of someone using brown sugar instead
I've brewed this several times, and have tried different substitutions. Nothing I've done has made it as good as the original recipe. I'm done tweaking. I'll continue to brew this at least once a year, but only with the ingredients/ratios as written. It's delicious just as it is.

I'm sure others will chime in but I'm using the Amber Balanced profile in Beersmith 3. I've really enjoyed the brews I've made using this recipe and water profile.

Calcium - 50ppm
Magnesium - 10ppm
Sodium - 15ppm
Sulfate - 75ppm
Chloride - 63ppm

Kegged this last night. Finished at a higher OG than I like (1.019) which I think is a combination of me underpitching, dumping trub (and yeast apparently) and the cold temps in my garage. When I tasted it last night I wasn’t overwhelmed but a night of chilling and carbing up at 40 psi it’s a very tasty beer! I’ll plan on brewing this again and correcting my mistakes and hopefully get closer to the recipe and process as designed, but even with my mistakes I’m impressed with this beer!

Cheers!

Any ideas for a water profile for this? Saw some one ask earlier but didn't see a response
I'm sure others will chime in but I'm using the Amber Balanced profile in Beersmith 3. I've really enjoyed the brews I've made using this recipe and water profile.

Calcium - 50ppm
Magnesium - 10ppm
Sodium - 15ppm
Sulfate - 75ppm
Chloride - 63ppm

I've also used the Amber Balanced in Beersmith 3, as well as the Dublin, Ireland profile in BS3. I don't have any tasting notes for either, so both must have worked fine for my taste.

Figured I should post a picture of my Raging Irish Red beer I'm drinking right now. It came out as good as the first batch.

I initially thought I missed my OG on the batch by about 5 points but just found out after checking my latest brew with regular hydrometer (to confirm tilt readings) that my tilt was about 5-6 points low so I most likely actually hit my OG on the nose or a point above.

PXL_20220306_032426998.jpg

A lot has been tried, and dismissed as folly. You should try it and report back please. So far the " as written is the hands down winner".
Eric

I will add the honey malt and reply back. The reason I have asked is because I do not know whether you want a hint of honey taste or just use it for alcohol creation. Looking forward to brewing season 51 in a week or two!

So the only time I really noticed any honey taste was when I stole the wifes organic ginger honey. Even then the ginger was what came through, not the honey flavor or sweetness. I have added the honey at flame out as written and as raw into the fermenter, and still no noticeable flavor. That is why I perked up at the notion of honey malt.
Eric

Okay ... I have lots of honey malt but I thought 4 oz would give a hint in the background. I will need the snow to get lost first. Perhaps in two weeks I can start year 51 brewing. Igloo living is tough you know! More as known.

Okay ... I have lots of honey malt but I thought 4 oz would give a hint in the background. I will need the snow to get lost first. Perhaps in two weeks I can start year 51 brewing. Igloo living is tough you know! More as known.
March 31st. Did 11 gallons today. Hit more than my numbers! I will report back after I keg and taste it. 4 oz of Honey malt x 2 for two batches of 5.5 gallons

Update on my brew of this - I have a friend that is a copes light drinker - I can occasionally get him to try a holiday ale that I’ve brewed or something like that. He tried this red and loves it. We kicked the first 5 gallon keg over The Weekend and started on the next one. I’m going to have to sleep this one as a regular.

So call me a cheap ass, but the cost of honey in my local is stupid. I just pitched another 11 gallon batch and did blue agave instead of the honey. Had a noticeable flavor in the hydro sample. 2 weeks and yeast activity will tell the tale.
This batch puts me at 33 gallons of red for the year.
Eric

I served this last night to a crowd. Several said it was the best beer they had ever tasted. You can taste the honey malt in this recipe. I do not know how the original recipe without 4 oz of honey malt per five gallons tastes. It was a hit.
Is it just a subtle honey flavor it imparts or is it more pronounced? I'm interested in trying some possibly as it sounds good

Love this recipe.

Figured I should post a picture of my Raging Irish Red beer I'm drinking right now. It came out as good as the first batch.

I initially thought I missed my OG on the batch by about 5 points but just found out after checking my latest brew with regular hydrometer (to confirm tilt readings) that my tilt was about 5-6 points low so I most likely actually hit my OG on the nose or a point above.

View attachment 761772
That is what I call a good looking beer!

Is it just a subtle honey flavor it imparts or is it more pronounced? I'm interested in trying some possibly as it sounds good

Love this recipe.
I think it is pronounced because I know that honey and honey malt are present even though the honey converted to alcohol. My neighbour thinks that it is a subtle addition. I think we have our own "biases". I wish I had an original to compare it to. Since I live in Canada it would be tricky to send any your way for your opinion. If you have a secure method of transit I am more than happy to send a sampler down.

I think it is pronounced because I know that honey and honey malt are present even though the honey converted to alcohol. My neighbour thinks that it is a subtle addition. I think we have our own "biases". I wish I had an original to compare it to. Since I live in Canada it would be tricky to send any your way for your opinion. If you have a secure method of transit I am more than happy to send a sampler down.
Thanks! I'll probably give it a shot next batch and see; I think a subtle honey flavor would be good with this recipe.

So I did some research on the blue agave. As found on here. The batch finished really high at 8%. It had a strange flavor at kegging, still aging so the jury is still out. I went back for more agave and bj's was out so I pitched a honey batch onto the agave yeast cake and let it ride. Still a week or so to go before tasting.
Eric

So two weeks in the keg and the verdict is in. The blue agave did nothing for the flavor. The taste profile is the same, amazing as the original written. What did happen is that it is not session beer at 8%. This batch is going to last a while. 2 pints and done. lol
Eric

So two weeks in the keg and the verdict is in. The blue agave did nothing for the flavor. The taste profile is the same, amazing as the original written. What did happen is that it is not session beer at 8%. This batch is going to last a while. 2 pints and done. lol
Eric
Thanks so much for updating your brewing experiment. We do not see agave in this part of Canada so I perked up when I saw you do this take on enhancing it!
It sure has been popular here and will go into at least two or three more kegs this year. Since late March i am on keg 20 for the year so far. Three kegs were Christmas Imperial Stouts: The bourbon stout came across real nice and the flapjack stout is great so far. It has a lot going on with cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, coffee beans and maple syrup in it! I waxed the tops after wrapping string under the crown caps with a pull string showing to peal off the wax. Sort of classy for special hand outs. Sorry to add so much to a killer thread. My hat goes off to the starter of this thread!

Eric
Yeah, I would have been surprised if you noticed any difference. There is so much flavor in the grain bill the little bit of agave would struggle to come through. Also not surprised it is high abv, agave will ferment to 0.0 or below. Good stuff. :mug:

So my whole foray into agave started because of stupid high cost of honey. So anyone following these tracks, agave is a good substitute for the honey in the as written recipe, but be aware high ABV may occur. lol
Eric

Back