Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

This is my second time making this everyone that had this brew really enjoys it,
This time I have my own Mill and milled my gains,
BIAB and I have to use Special B in place of Caraaroma as my supplier doesn't carry it.
Grain.jpg

@brandtrepair brewed this over the weekend, while we helped a newbie brew his first beer, an Irish Stout, and I rocked what was supposed to be an NEIPA, but is going to turn out to be a hazy pale ale, OG too low (less grains than I thought I had left) to start.

That’s an awesome way to label your kegs (never thought to do this or seen it anywhere else). Thanks for sharing!

No problem, but a word of warning....it takes a TON of pins if you stick to it. My wife still hasn’t solved the mystery of her disappearing clothes pins. (We’ll be keeping this to ourselves, right?)

Maybe I missed this but how long does this beer take to condition in the keg? I kegged this Friday and going to wait a week or so before putting in my keezer.

IMAG1898_1.jpg

Beautiful beer, and tasty too. Brewed up 10 gallons, 5 followed the recipe and the other 5 got a 20 min. Hop stand with a couple ounces of Chinook and 3 ounces Simcoe to create a fairly tasty "NW Amber". Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this a few weeks ago and I was really stoked on it after a few hydrometer samples. But it seemed to have finished at only 1.016 and the airlock didn't constantly bubble until kegging like it usually does. I'm chalking this up to the suboptimal starter I pitched. Sampling it right after I kegged it, I'm getting a vegetal aftertaste. I hope it goes away with some keg aging.

I'm wondering where this vegetal flavor came from, and possibly if I oxidized it by hydrometer testing and it not producing enough co2 to displace the oxygen I introduced due to the low airlock activity.

Edit: There must have been something in the line or container because the vegetal flavor is entirely gone. Still concerned about the high FG but overall, this tastes great!

Last edited:
Brewed this a few weeks ago and I was really stoked on it after a few hydrometer samples. But it seemed to have finished at only 1.016 and the airlock didn't constantly bubble until kegging like it usually does. I'm chalking this up to the suboptimal starter I pitched. Sampling it right after I kegged it, I'm getting a vegetal aftertaste. I hope it goes away with some keg aging.

I'm wondering where this vegetal flavor came from, and possibly if I oxidized it by hydrometer testing and it not producing enough co2 to displace the oxygen I introduced due to the low airlock activity.

Edit: There must have been something in the line or container because the vegetal flavor is entirely gone. Still concerned about the high FG but overall, this tastes great!

Looking back at my notes I had the same vegetal notes or bitterness. May have been yeast bite but 10 days later from last sample the beer is really coming around! It’s been is keezer almost a month. Seems like the color is turning from brown to more of a red also. Does this seem logical?

I’m somewhat new to brewing but this seems to be my observation from this batch.

Last edited:
Brewed up this brew for probably the 15th time, was the first brew of 2018, tapped the keg just this weekend. Still does not disappoint!!

Hmm, trying to post a pic from Imgur, doesn't want to display.

vXqFOIv

Last edited:
Just brewed this as my second all grain ever and of course forgot about the honey. Just wondering how long everybody is leaving it in primary for? Guessing not many are doing secondary but for primary is it 14 days? 21?30? or is it making a difference?

Just brewed this as my second all grain ever and of course forgot about the honey. Just wondering how long everybody is leaving it in primary for? Guessing not many are doing secondary but for primary is it 14 days? 21?30? or is it making a difference?

I did 2.5 primary. No secondary. Kegged after another week of carbing up. Mellowed out after another week. Fantastic brew.

Awesome looks great! Would it work with just Nugget hops? I've got a lot of them.

Awesome looks great! Would it work with just Nugget hops? I've got a lot of them.
Think I can answer my own question, after more research think to only replace the 60min hops with Nugget and leave the Cascade hops. Sounds good?

Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks for the awesome recipe.. Definitely going into my rotation. If you haven't tried this one yet your missing out on a tasty brew
20180509_170124.jpg
Going to be missing out for awhile yet, but thats my next brew.
Did an "Erics Irish Red" a few weeks ago. Was hurried, 2 weeks fermenting, kegged, 1 week crashing, 2 days carbing, one of 2 kegs into the keezer...
Was ok... not my fav. Forgot the other keg was in there... 3 weeks later, its a totally different beer. I guess reds need a little time. Raging reds going to get some. Just means a double brew weekend to keep the pipes full!

Going to be missing out for awhile yet, but thats my next brew.
Did an "Erics Irish Red" a few weeks ago. Was hurried, 2 weeks fermenting, kegged, 1 week crashing, 2 days carbing, one of 2 kegs into the keezer...
Was ok... not my fav. Forgot the other keg was in there... 3 weeks later, its a totally different beer. I guess reds need a little time. Raging reds going to get some. Just means a double brew weekend to keep the pipes full!

This one tastes as good as it looks. Definitively comes around with a couple weeks of aging..

Anyone get a toasty flavor with this recipe? I brewed this and had all sort of problems during my brew day in this one. Still amazed how well it turned out regardless.

Update:
Never mind folks! Went back and read the original post and the original is supposed to have a toffee roasty flavor that well describes my beer. I wasn’t sure if my bad brew day resulted in some off flavors.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Doing an extract batch and going with the following:

1lb caraaroma
.5lb melanoiden malt
.5lb honey malt
(steeped @152F 30mins )
6.5lb DME extra light

1oz crystal @60mins
1oz cascade @30mins

No added honey

OG: 1.054
IBU: 27.4
SRM: 15.8

Safale S-05

Last edited:
Man i want to get into all grain eventually. I'e done a red ale kit which turned out good. I love red ale . I will use this one as soon as I get my mash n boil. That color and head is excellent all . Looks delicious!

I see a lot of people saying that they didn’t use the honey. Did you supplement something in its place? Leaving out that much sugar would certainly effect the finished product right?

I see a lot of people saying that they didn’t use the honey. Did you supplement something in its place? Leaving out that much sugar would certainly effect the finished product right?

Ive brewed it with and without the honey. I like it more without and dont feel it does much for it except push up the alcohol content. Sugars will also give a higher perception of being more dry. It's all personal preference.

I decided to wave the honey as well and add some honey malt. My extract batch is in the pail and I will let you know the final verdict when I keg it

That seems like a lot of honey malt from what I have read a little goes a long way. I’m going to try adding 4oz which comes in at just 2% of my grain bill and see what that does.

Last edited:
That seems like a lot of honey malt from what I have read a little goes a long way. I’m going to try adding 4oz which comes in at just 2% of my grain bill and see what that does.
Ive kegged mine and will be carbed in the next few days. Will report back, it seems im the only one who tried out a extract recipe.

Doing an extract batch and going with the following:

1lb caraaroma
.5lb melanoiden malt
.5lb honey malt
(steeped @152F 30mins )
6.5lb DME extra light

1oz crystal @60mins
1oz cascade @30mins

No added honey

OG: 1.054
IBU: 27.4
SRM: 15.8

Safale S-05
Beer turned out fantastic. Definately didn't overdue it with the honey malt. I would suggest using .5lb. I wasn't happy with my color at first (looked brownish), but she is red now! Anyone looking for an extract version, I would try mine.[emoji482][emoji482][emoji482]
20180718_152450(0).jpeg

I misunderstood and brewed it with honey malt instead of bee honey, and I'll do it every time because this is my favorite beer I ever brewed

I have a real problem with this recipe... The damn kegs keeps emptying! Between me, my 22 year old, and my neighbors, I can't keep it in stock :)

FWIW the only changes I did to the very first recipe post was cut the honey in half then proportionally adjust the fermentable quantities for the typical mash efficiency of my system. I mash at 152F and use Nottingham fermented at 60. Note: the picture shows the wort a tad darker than actual, due to some dark rain clouds above and behind me at the time.

irishred.jpg

Last edited:
Back