Racoons and 1st two All Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_van_gilder

Reaction score
I brewed up my first to all grain batches last week. A Honey Heffi, and an Octoberfest. I used the Decoction method on the Octoberfest. Both times I brewed a batch I had a baby racoon come right up to the portch and walk around with us, like 3 feet from us. He would also crawl along the roof and look down at us. I think he was attracted by the smells. On the Octoberfest batch I put out some spent grains on a plate to see if he would eat it. He eargerly scarfed it down, so I put a huge pile out for him. Maybe next time he will bring some of his brothers and they can eat all of my spent grains.

Just wait until he brings mom and dad and all his aunts, uncles, and cousins and they decide to empty your garbage cans for you. :(

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Acctualy his brothers and sisters were born here. I saw the mom walking around with them about a month ago. At one point they were sleeping in my chimney. But lately he has been the only fellow I have seen around.

Sounds like fun. Brew all night, bait them with the spent grains, have a homebrew in your hand and a .22 on your lap.

talleymonster said:
Sounds like fun. Brew all night, bait them with the spent grains, have a homebrew in your hand and a .22 on your lap.

Dude! No way. I'm a vegetarean. I could never kill a racoon.
Unless he was going after my throat like the Monty Phython rabbit!

Well make a nice hat out of them then... Okay, next time just make sure you shoot them with your camera, picture of the "brewing coon".

Strange living in the country. I saw live raccoons frequently in Sunnyvale, CA and other cities around the Bay, but in three years in rural Oregon the only raccoons I've seen were flat on the road. And very few of them. Must be the coyotes.

Sounds funny until you forget to put out the grains and you catch the little buggers with 12oz bottles in their furry little paws.

david_42 said:
Strange living in the country. I saw live raccoons frequently in Sunnyvale, CA and other cities around the Bay, but in three years in rural Oregon the only raccoons I've seen were flat on the road. And very few of them. Must be the coyotes.

Nah, it's just that in rural areas the raccoons have plenty of real habitat, in Sunnyvale they have to take night jobs at Fry's just to pay the rent on their tree.

dantodd said:
Nah, it's just that in rural areas the raccoons have plenty of real habitat, in Sunnyvale they have to take night jobs at Fry's just to pay the rent on their tree.

Plenty of coons here in OH, but in my area I actually have a problem with coyotes. I've bagged two in the last year already.

david_42 said:
A few reasons for that:
Rural raccoons are more wary of humans because they have less contact with them.
They have more places to hide due to natural habitat.
They have more predators and a less consistent food supply leading to lower population densities.

Squirrels, rats and many birds are similarly affected.

OP - You keep feeding them spent grains and you will have a whole clan in your backyard.

Craig

Man, i wish i could get em to eat my spent grains, then i could douse it with anti-freeze or rat poison, get rid of the bastards... The little bastards tear up the roof, creating water damage... There's a reason why they're the Tennessee State Pest!

I live in a decently dense city but my house is along a large creek so I get lots of wildlife acctivity around the house. I don't mind the racoons so much since none have ever made it into my trash can and made a mess yet. I don't so much like the oppsums though. One mixed it up with my cat.

dj_van_gilder said:
Dude! No way. I'm a vegetarean. I could never kill a racoon.
Unless he was going after my throat like the Monty Phython rabbit!

Then you better have your "Holy Hand Grenade" ready! :cross:

Back