Racking under the pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
My first sour, a Flanders Red style beer, has about 8 months under it's belt and I'd like to start measuring and tasting. However, it has a pellicle and I've never had to work with one of these before!

What's the best/proper way to pull samples from a pellicle'd beer? Is it common to get some of the pellicle in the sample? Is there any specific tricks? Thanks!!

Sampling under or through the pellicle is how I've been doing it. I have an all glass wine thief that I use to pull samples out of carboys. Easy to keep sanitary and not spread unwanted bugs to different fermenters. Just make sure everything is sanitary. When the taste is right, rack out from under the pellicle if it hasn't fallen out. At least that's what I do. YMMV

Edit: I've had pieces of the pellicle in my sample before and had no issues tasting/smelling it that way.

I put a racking port and valve on my plastic carboy. Able to pull samples from under the pellicle. Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back