Racking to Keg Outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
Finally, I got myself a chest freezer for fermentation, no more water bath ice packs!!! Anyways, my chest freezer is outside and I'd probably like to not have to lift my cooled cold crashed beer too far, especially since I'd have to walk it up some stairs. I realize this could lead to stirring up some of the sediment I am so looking forward to having dropped out. Thus, would it be okay for me to transfer outside? Obviously, it will out of direct sunlight. Or do I need to be careful about indirect sunlight too?

No problem. I do mine outside on patio, or in garage, depending on which fridge I'm fermenting in.

When I rack beer to my kegs, I first fill kegs with CO2, then close the top and open the pressure relief valve. Then I push the beer into the beer OUT post so that it is entering the keg from the bottom. Don't forget to close the PRV when you're done.

Best way is to put gas on the fermentor and push the beer out. That way you don't have to move the fermentor at all. I don't think I'd do this with a glass carboy though.

Back