racking on gelatin in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
Ok about 5 days ago I racked my beer from my conical to the keg on top of gelatin.

Now when I'm pouring a pint im pick up gelatin in my glass which is annoying.

Has anyone ever experienced this and is there a way to stop this from being picked up?

Im thing cutting 1/2 inch off the dip tube or filtering.

Filtering is a pain in the ass and I'd rather not do it but I do have the equipment

I think you are just getting the little bit from the bottom; your beer should be clear soon. At what temperature did you hydrate the gelatin?

I boiled the water waited 15 mins then hydrated.

I'm going to have to filter it I think

You may have gotten the gelatin a little to hot which will cause it to blob up. I boil, then let the water cool to around 170. I then add the gelatin and wait 20-30 minutes for it to dissolve, and then add to beer as I keg.

No its didn't blob up its getting stirred up into the beer from the bottom of the keg. It did its job to clear the beer now its being brought up into the pint.

Next time im going to stick to racking to secondary to clear the beer.

I gelatin every batch in the keg. The first 2-3 pints are cloudy, but it's crystal clear after that. Is the key getting bumped around?

No its not its just in my kegerator.

I believe its subsiding somewhat. The beer is clear but there is what looks to be flakes of Gelatin being brought up while pouring a pint.

Im going to let it sit for awhile longer before I do anything.

Its still not carbed up enough so I wait until its ready see if it stops. Im thinking of shortning the dip tube by maybe 1/2 inch I believe this will help I can handle leaving a cup or 2 of beer behind.

did it sort itself out after carbing was done and everything had chance to settle out? Looking at doing this myself today..

Back