Racking day: What is this stuff? With pics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oahu

Reaction score
Some strange things observed when transferring to the secondary:

RackingDayWTH.jpg

What is that brown stuff???

Rackingdayscary.jpg

This is what was left over after I was done brewing. It tasted awful, and the stuff at the bottom was crunchy!

RackingDaymmmm.jpg

And this is the end result. Looks a little dark for a Hefe, but that might be because I have never seen so much at one time.

Oh, and I was just kidding about drinking the left overs. But what is that Brown stuff? Krausen?

Time to change the sig.

You shouldn't have tasted it, its normal in every brew, I'm not 100% sure what it is though because I'm not experienced but I think its called "the plant" left over yeast and stuff

hey bra, Aloha! Yes, it looks like it was krausen. I not sure what that was in the pint glass though. Should be fine...let us know how it tastes in a few weeks after bottle conditioning. Do you have a name for your new brew? How about Da Kine Brew? Hang loose! :cool:

yep, that's the krausen from the fermentation process (in the first pic). did you pour it into the pint glass? makes me thirsty for a big ol' milk shake!!!!
the objective is to allow the krausen to subside before you rack to the secondary. usually 3-7 days (a SG reding wil ltell you for sure, but i'm lazy!).

color looks good to me Oahu. it's always more dense in the carboy's.

DeRoux's Broux said:
yep, that's the krausen from the fermentation process (in the first pic). did you pour it into the pint glass? makes me thirsty for a big ol' milk shake!!!!
the objective is to allow the krausen to subside before you rack to the secondary. usually 3-7 days (a SG reding wil ltell you for sure, but i'm lazy!).

color looks good to me Oahu. it's always more dense in the carboy's.

Ah, so next time I see the stuff, I should think: Rack later.

I did pour the leftovers from the racking into the pint glass. Although if you read the above post carefully, I did not actually drink it. Thanks again DeRoux, this is like the millionth time you've given me useful info. :)

anytime, happy to help.

do you primary in a glass 6.5 g carboy? if not, maybe for future brews. that way you can see when the activity is complete w/out lifting a lid on a bucket set-up (and having to jack with a hydrometer). plus it's better for the brew IMHO, but that dead horse has been kicked a million times here.......

hey, i've tasted the krausen before! :~)

DeRoux's Broux said:
kinda chewy hu?
nice bass too! where did ya catch it?
Nah...just got to let em age a few days, like coons and armadilloes. ;)

That's a Minnesota bass...a puny little 6 pounder. :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
anytime, happy to help.

do you primary in a glass 6.5 g carboy? if not, maybe for future brews. that way you can see when the activity is complete w/out lifting a lid on a bucket set-up (and having to jack with a hydrometer). plus it's better for the brew IMHO, but that dead horse has been kicked a million times here.......

hey, i've tasted the krausen before! :~)
6.5 gallon Carboy, and I was just telling my wife how cheap this hobby is. That's a good idea though. I do like to see what's going on in there, and I do believe I already have Krausen in the secondary, and it's bubbling like mad. Strange.
(My last hobby: Guitar playing, which is cheap. But I bought Taylor guitars on a moderate basis, which are expensive.)

Ah, so next time I see the stuff, I should think: Rack later.
yea you want all that stuff to be a crust ring around the carboy similar to this:

normal_100_0872.JPG

Guitar playing, which is cheap

there are apparently quite a few quitar players including myself here. i wouldn't call quality guitars cheap - but i would equate the enjoyability and satisfaction

Oahu said:
6.5 gallon Carboy, and I was just telling my wife how cheap this hobby is....

(My last hobby: Guitar playing, which is cheap. But I bought Taylor guitars on a moderate basis, which are expensive.)

My LHBS sells new ones for ~$23.00, so they aren't that bad. I also look for them at garage sales. Haven't found any yet, but I keep looking! :D

brewhead said:
there are apparently quite a few quitar players including myself here...

Yep, same here. Lead vocals and guitar in several bands not worth mentioning. Mostly Ricky's, but one Telecaster and a sweet, black Les Paul Custom, many moons ago. Sold it to pay for college. Okay, to pay for beer at college! ;)

Oahu said:
6.5 gallon Carboy, and I was just telling my wife how cheap this hobby is.

it is a cheap hobby, but can get crazy as any other! i just dropepd some coin finishing my 3 teir keg-kettle system. but compared to what it would have cost to buy from Sabco, More Beer, etc., i saved about $450-500 bucks :cool: plus i can brew up to 15g if i want to. woo-hoo!!!!

know what you mean though, my hobbies were (notice past tense!) Harley's (chopped, slammed, & fat '98 Night Train) and drums (Tama's, Gretsch). neighbors bitched about both! he,hehehe,he...it was cool........ :p

there is a antique/junk shop in a little town near me that sells 6.5 g carboy's for $15.00, 2 for $12.50. needless to say, she move 'em PDQ.

Hobbies can be expensive, my last hobby was a '79 MG Midget. $$$$ and work.
I sure do miss that car..... but like the reliability of our Nissan Z and the ruggedness/off-road ability of our Xterra.

As far as guitars go, I've got a couple acoustics. One is a plastic back Applause guitar I bought for 100 bucks back in 1985. As cheap as it is, you can beat the hell out of it, and it still stays in tune, and has very good intonation and a nice bright sound. I'm not a very good player, but nothing relieves stress like drinking a pint and playing the guitar.

The crud in the fermenter looks like good healthy yeast sediment. (It also looks like baby poo, but we won't tell any non-homebrewers about that, will we. ;) )

andre the giant said:
The crud in the fermenter looks like good healthy yeast sediment. (It also looks like baby poo, but we won't tell any non-homebrewers about that, will we. ;) )
Well I've seen a lot of baby poo (seen a lot of big people poo too, but's that's another story), and I don't remember any looking like that. Baby food maybe :eek:

OK, I'll take your word for it Pistolero... I don't have any kids, I'm just speaking from what I've seen when visiting friends who have kids. It never looks pleasant in any case. (doesn't smell good either.....)

andre the giant said:
OK, I'll take your word for it Pistolero... I don't have any kids, I'm just speaking from what I've seen when visiting friends who have kids. It never looks pleasant in any case. (doesn't smell good either.....)
Well I have to say your friends shouldn't be subjecting you to their babies' poo ;) particularly since you probably brought the home broo :eek:

Latest posts

Back