Racking between Carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider4Life

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any issue with racking from one carboy to another to get the cider off the lees? I had my son over and in our over zealous teaching moments where he learned how to make cider it became evident we couldn't drink the current cider fast enough out of our corny kegs to free enough of them up to accomodate his new batches. So, long story short, I have more cider becoming ready in my carboys than I have corny kegs and I don't want to just let the cider sit on the lees too long. I can easily keep the carboys stored around 65 deg. f. I have plenty of the carboys and don't mind letting the yeast live and begin anew by back sweetening if needed to add complexity as I can always rack again. Thoughts or recommendations?

2018 cider aging in secondary.

46464229724_df454ba77f_c.jpg

Damn, thats some beautiful looking cider my friend! When do you add your pectic enzyme? During primary fermentation or secondary? I haven't begun to master that beautuful golden clear color with mine yet and would love any tips you have.

Damn, thats some beautiful looking cider my friend! When do you add your pectic enzyme? During primary fermentation or secondary? I haven't begun to master that beautuful golden clear color with mine yet and would love any tips you have.
Pectic enzyme about 12 hrs before pitching the yeast.

47882782171_09a9eae8af_c.jpg

Another noob question....what does "pitching the yeast" mean? Clearly I have a lot to learn :) Working on my basic setup below...
Cider 3.jpg

Hey Maylar those are some good looking pics! How much yeast do you pitch if bottle conditioning? Cheers!

Gotcha! I guess I assumed you were leaving it in a carboy for over a year. I wondered how much that would help. I don't drink that much cider so its nice to take out an old bottle now and then.

Thanks. How long can I let it hang out in secondary fermentation state in the carboy at around 65 deg?
I would suggest adding some Campden tablets (sulfite) when you rack your cider. If you are going to drink it soon you can skip the sulfite.

Gotcha! I guess I assumed you were leaving it in a carboy for over a year. I wondered how much that would help. I don't drink that much cider so its nice to take out an old bottle now and then.
Actually, I do age my cider for up to a year, sometimes more. I still have 4 gallons of last year's cider in carboys and it'll be a year old in a couple weeks when I start my 2020 batch. I do add K-Meta (Campden) when racking for long term and take care to minimize head space.

I started a new batch from my once a year cider pressing today. I had to move a full carboy to make room on the top shelf. That's when I realized that carboy was from the same cider pressing last year. I should keg that one soon.

Wow, you gents have amazing patience, that and you must not go through that much cider lol. I am excited to learn you can age them that long, I had no idea. Cheers

Back