R. O. system intermittent use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hottpeper13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just installed a 150 GPD R.O. system that I only have to run once or twice a month and am concerned about the possibility of that stagnant water growing unwanted things(micro). I have a well, the water goes thru an iron filter then a softener then R. O. , so how long can it sit (under 40 psi pressure) before the dreaded bio-film?

In my experience, forever. I, of course, don't know what is actually inside that pressure tank but what comes out of it is certainly not tainted in any way that I can see, smell or taste. The water in there is protected from inoculation and, other than the bit of CO2 dissolved in it when it enters the pressure tank there is no carbon source to support growth. Curious to see how the RO experts will answer this.

I don't use a pressure tank ,but fill 5 gal sanitized water bottles. i use about 8 gal for a 5 gal batch so I run 10 gal every time I brew so i have some for the next batch. The other 2 gal go to kombucha. Not going into a pressure tank gives me better then 1:1 ~7 gal waste to 10 gal good. So the water just sits in the system for ~ 2 weeks at a time.

Back