R I P

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some LME burn to the bottom of my brewpot once. The beer tasted like an ashtray. Down the drain it went (and that was after I bottled it).

attitude said:
Had to pour out the brown ale(weep, weep).How many others have been lost?

I've had two batches somehow get infected by wild yeast or bacteria. They turned all sour and dry. No fun. I still have the cases, just gonna hold on to them and see what happens (I've got over 10 cases of empties, so I'm not hurting for bottles).

Also have a version of Papazian's Goat Scrotum Porter that got ruined because I followed his directions and added 1/2 btl of spruce extract. Now it's just pine tree in a bottle.

Evan! said:
I've had two batches somehow get infected by wild yeast or bacteria. They turned all sour and dry. No fun. I still have the cases, just gonna hold on to them and see what happens (I've got over 10 cases of empties, so I'm not hurting for bottles).

Also have a version of Papazian's Goat Scrotum Porter that got ruined because I followed his directions and added 1/2 btl of spruce extract. Now it's just pine tree in a bottle.

I've only lost one batch to infection and I tried the "hold on to them" trick and even 8 months could not save it. After 8 months they were all gushers and smelled super nasty. Very clear tho. Really, they looked like Bid Light.

I've had many that I wanted to dump, but my Dead Fly Ale is going to be the first one I definitely WILL dump. The rest have improved with age, but this one has a taste like I didn't do a good enough job of rinsing out the corny. It's soapy and unpalatable.

I had one ropy batch that just looked nasty. It wasn't too gross looking until you took a close look at the top of the beer and noticed how it had jelly-like stuff going on. I wasn't going to touch it.

Back