R&D Question (Not sure if it qualifies as Beginner's Question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmorebrew

Reaction score
Here I am in Ft. Collins on business enjoying many Odells and New Belgiums and the question hits me as I quaff a St. Lupulin: What does one get in a beer if one does not add hops for bittering (early in boil) but adds a lot for flavor and aroma (late in boil, say 15 min to flameout)?

Does this make a drinkable beer that has a low level of overall bitterness (IBU) and high hop aroma and flavor profile, or just a gross mish-mash of beer slurry?

The late addition hops still contribute some bitterness, just not nearly as much as they would if you added them early. Especially if you're making an IPA and want lots of hop aroma and flavor I think it's actually pretty common to do what you're suggesting. My next batch I'm planning to add all my hops starting in the last 15 minutes down to the flame out and hopville.com is telling me that it will hit about 60 IBU's since I'm adding lots of them and some are high A/A.

So in short...give it a whirl imo :)

The late addition hops still contribute some bitterness, just not nearly as much as they would if you added them early. Especially if you're making an IPA and want lots of hop aroma and flavor I think it's actually pretty common to do what you're suggesting. My next batch I'm planning to add all my hops starting in the last 15 minutes down to the flame out and hopville.com is telling me that it will hit about 60 IBU's since I'm adding lots of them and some are high A/A.

So in short...give it a whirl imo :)

Please explain why you would do this. I use beercalculus and have been pleased with the results, but I don't think you will get what the calcs imply.

As I understand it the hops adds more bitterness depending on how long you boil it, A/A content, amount of water used, etc. But at the same time, the longer you boil hops the more the aroma disappears because it's being pushed out of the beer as the water boils away.

So the logic with doing really heavy late additions is that you get HUGE aroma and flavor from your hops rather than only adding bitterness. However you still get some bitterness as well since the alpha acids are still soaking into your brew for however long they're in there. To reach normal IBU numbers it helps a lot if you're doing a full 5-6 gallon boil versus 2.5 or 3 or whatever since utilization will be higher.

I would be interested to know how many hops you are using for this method vs bitterness @ 60.

Hop Bursting. Tried it once, didn't notice anything profound. The biggest reason I don't bother with it anymore is that you have to use so much more hops than a tratitional 60 min bittering addition.

I did Jamil's hop bursting recipe and it turned out quite nice. What you get is a really good balance between malt flavor and hopiness. I really liked the result and plan on trying to adapt it to other recipes. A good extract kit that uses this is the "Evil Twin" recipe from Northern Brewer. The basic recipe on Jamil's website is pretty easy to follow though and he gives the details for both all grain and extract.

Back