Quickly carbonate flat beer - shouldnt this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
I had a couple growlers of beer that gor flat. Buts super yummy so wanted to recarb it. Saw a video where people were using a Soda Stream to flash carb their flat beer. But didnt want to spend $80 on a Soda Stream I would only occassionally use. So I bought a Farroday Stainless Steel Carbonation Cap. Poured my flat beer into a 1 liter plastic bottle, attached the cap to CO2 tank and opened her up to lkike 5. Could tell some was going in because the plastic got super stiff. But no sign of carbonation in beer. Assume it just takes time to saturate in.

So how does soda stream do it - non closed system and just punds it in there? I tried to boost it up to 10, waiting for bottle to split, no change. Very little carbonation added if any.

Just wondering why this didnt work. Assuming its not meant to FORCE CO2 in, just gradually introduce into solution? Remove the poppet? :p

2021-01-30_11-10-24.png

I usually shake the bottle with the gas line attached and set to ~12-15 psi.
You can carb up a half filled 2 liter soda bottle pretty quickly...

Cheers!

I disconnect the gas line before I shake because I'm nervous of getting beer in the line. You can feel the bottle deflate as you shake it and the co2 gets disolved in solution. I just keep repeating the process untill the bottle stays firm while shaking.

The sodastream has an injector that extends into the water (or beer in this case) so it's putting co2 directly into the liquid. This helps quite a bit. You can replicate it by shaking, as folks above mentioned, but its not as quick or easy of a process.

Also, like all carbonation, the colder the liquid the more easily you'll carbonate. I get my water just above freezing to carbonate in the sodastream and it works great.

Back