QuickCarb from Blichmann Engineering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flhb

Reaction score
Anyone interested in a product like this? On pre-sale now.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/quickcarb™

From the page: "The Patent Pending QuickCarb™ from Blichmann Engineering™ is a revolutionary simple new way to carbonate a 5 gal keg of beer in less than an hour! This patent pending product uses a simple circulating pump and a unique stainless steel diffusion stone to carbonate your beer precisely and quickly without a chance of accidentally overcarbonating! Interested in in-line oxygenation of your wort before pitching your yeast? Simply add an oxygen regulator and you're ready to go! The QuickCarb™ is truly a versatile tool!"

Wow.... This is a solution in search of a problem.

So the way I see it is that there is more to sanitize, and also by recirculating the beer through a pump you will cause the carbonation that was just forced into solution to come out again in the pump head. I see this product as a head-forming protein degrading machine that is likely waaaaaayyy overpriced.

"carbonate 5 gal of beer in less than an hour" I guess they have never heard about the shake/rocking method.

Seems like they are running out of ideas for actually useful products.

Is this their attempt at in-line carbing on the homebrew scale? I think people will buy the hell out of it, but I don't necessarily think it's going to go as flawlessly as people think. A lot easier and cheaper to attach tubing and a diffusion stone to your gas post to achieve a fast carb without beer disruption.

My $0.02

Wow.... This is a solution in search of a problem.

So the way I see it is that there is more to sanitize, and also by recirculating the beer through a pump you will cause the carbonation that was just forced into solution to come out again in the pump head. I see this product as a head-forming protein degrading machine that is likely waaaaaayyy overpriced.

"carbonate 5 gal of beer in less than an hour" I guess they have never heard about the shake/rocking method.

Seems like they are running out of ideas for actually useful products.

I think you're being a bit critical. Maybe someone can't lift a whole leg because they're back is bad and therefore can't rock and shake.

Secondly, the pump head would not draw out the carbonation because you are keeping the whole system in a relative pressure equilibrium. The pump looks to be a diaphragm or peristaltic pump anyways.

I was at HomebrewCon and based on what I heard, a lot of people are excited about this one. Blichmann builds some amazing stuff and I wish that I had the foresight and the skills they have to craft all these beer devices. More power to them, they are a gear head's best friend.

Back